Water in beef

Dean Lofthouse

Always rounding down or throwing in a bag full of dog bones free. Something I don't like about buying meat on a styrofoam tray and wrapped in cling film, swimming around in blood. Prefer to be able to tell my butcher what cut I want from a hunk of meat hanging out the back.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Is M21 Meats still going in Taupo?

I used to Box with the Owner.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved it when I went to France, beef in the butchers there is nearly black on the outside its been hung that long.

Trouble is the wife does the shopping, you can't tell a woman .... :001_rolleyes:

I reckon 50% of the weight of that mince came out immediately in water, I have just added carrots, turnip, broccoli, apple, pasta and rice and cooked it all without adding any more water....says it all really :thumbdown:

Complain. Not to customer service desk but write to supermarket hq. Be sure to tell them you felt it was very poor quality considering it was " butcher's selection" and misleading. You might be surprised at the response. Complained to asda once and got a voucher.

Hi Dean et all,

Sorry to see your mince was watery

Unfortunately, this practise of interfering with food seems widespread. Whilst the label states 100% beef, there is a degree of water in meats. This becomes a problem if & when water is added, or if the rules relating to what can be called 100% beef are massaged/abused.

Being fortunate to reside in France with a bit of land, we produce a fair amount of our own food, mainly fruit & vegetables along with a few eggs we know theyve been sprayed with only rain water (well, hopefully) & no added preservatives etc. We also make our own Eau de Vie distilled from fermented plums which is used to make a variety of fruit Pineaus - fortified wine like Sherry & Port.

Meat here is good, but a little dearer then the UK so we eat it less & try to source locally or from the Saturday market supporting petit producteurs. It may cost a bit more but if you dont support your local shops then they eventually get done in by the big supermarkets. That said they do a nice leg of New Zealand lamb in Leader Price. We have a mincer so can buy cheap cuts & mince - maybe dearer than mince but we just eat it less often.

I think it important that people should try and source a little of their own food, in the UK we had a tiny garden but managed to grow loads. Its also important to pass these skills to the next generation otherwise the risk is total dependence on large markets & thats not good.

Thats my thoughts anyway

N

agreed:thumbup1:

From memory supermarkets are allowed to add a certain percentage of water to meat, why I have no idea as it is purely a profit making exercise, the water in bacon is from brine curing, if you dont want the summy water in the pan get dry cured :thumbup1:

water in meat is just a tiny, tiny matter

CODEX Alimentarius: Home :thumbdown:

it is really heartening to find that so many people appreciate decent meat, we have ours hung for 21 days and we know that we lose weight over that time, but we gain flavour. The trouble is your average accountant dosent have a column to add up flavour so he assume you can manage without.