zig zag failure?

Dilz

Petzl website says:

1 - As a measure of precaution, we ask that you stop using your ZIGZAG mechanical Prusik.

2 - This stoppage will remains in place until we have approved and communicated an appropriate solution to maximize the safety of ZIGZAG users.

3 - We have decided to stop sales of ZIGZAG mechanical Prusiks.

4 - While there currently may be several solutions to maintain the upper carabiner correctly oriented on its major axis, Petzl cannot presently guarantee their effectiveness in all circumstances because we have not tested them sufficiently.

5 - Our teams are mobilized to quickly develop and verify a solution specifically for the ZIGZAG to maintain the upper carabiner oriented on its major axis.

6 - The availability of this solution will be communicated on Headlamps, gear and technical advice for mountain sports, rescue and work at height | Petzl by May 22, 2013 at the latest.

So until then they are just hoping you will see some warning and use common sense!

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i just say it failed by incorrect usage.

If I incorrectly set my crabs with a basic prussic that system will also fail.

As will other devices on the market:confused1:

Anyhow will wait to see what they declare in a few weeks.

P.s i managed without one for many yrs so i can wait a few weeks:001_tt2:

can i just say it failed by incorrect usage.

If I incorrectly set my crabs with a basic prussic that system will also fail.

As will other devices on the market:confused1:

Anyhow will wait to see what they declare in a few weeks.

P.s i managed without one for many yrs so i can wait a few weeks:001_tt2:

I just think think the cross loading can happen too easily on the ZZ and it was not given enough consideration in testing. The SJ comes with rubbers to keep it alined on the bottom crab for instance. Anything can fail if set up incorrectly, but the time it took from release to first failure highlights how easily this can be done. Sometimes my crab crossloads on my swivel but hey at least it still has 8kn compares to 1-2kn of the ZZ which is very easy to generate.

At this point it is a product that was used incorrectly, as far as pwe know Petzl are working on something to stop it from being used incorrectly.

As far as money back and not fit for perpose, I will find out more tomorrow.

I do believe Petzl have acted in a quick and appropriate manner so far over this. We looked today and there are loads of other products on the market that if used in the wrong way or wrong cofigeration could lead to a possible failure.

We are chasing for answers, and as soon an we hear we will let you know.:001_smile:

I just think think the cross loading can happen too easily on the ZZ and it was not given enough consideration in testing. The SJ comes with rubbers to keep it alined on the bottom crab for instance. Anything can fail if set up incorrectly, but the time it took from release to first failure highlights how easily this can be done. Sometimes my crab crossloads on my swivel but hey at least it still has 8kn compares to 1-2kn of the ZZ which is very easy to generate.

It's actually 4kn, which is roughly the same force a toothed ascendor will cut the line by design, I've taken some pretty rough bumps on my srt access system and never got to 4kn yet so what ever this climber did it must of been pretty hard, still it failing is not acceptable.

Also Petzl did sufficient testing they just missed something unusual that did not crop up in their tests, and now they need to do more to come up with a solution or other.