milling pics and vids

burrell_

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to milling some unused 'oak?' railway sleepers for a local builder, I'd been putting off the job for a while as didn't fancy destroying chains but got on with it today.

What a surprise when I tried picking the 1st 1 up, heavy is not the word for it! And pink sawdust, this is not oak.... hard stuff 2 cuts per tank on the 660 but only had to tickle the chain 1 time, all 12 came out looking like these, Butifull colours to be made into windowsills just sanded and lightly wax.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

1401564245766.jpg.756cc1a825bb2dafd017378374884369.jpg

1401564228716.jpg.6fcde28532ff563bf921f97c535a0351.jpg

1401564210560.jpg.eb101181b92924eaff432b63c8396408.jpg

Finally got round to milling some unused 'oak?' railway sleepers for a local builder, I'd been putting off the job for a while as didn't fancy destroying chains but got on with it today.

What a surprise when I tried picking the 1st 1 up, heavy is not the word for it! And pink sawdust, this is not oak....

I suspect your 'oak' is in fact jarrah, which is nice stuff and extremely durable. However it could just be Karri - I quote from wikipedia:

Jarrah wood is very similar to that of Karri. Both trees are found in the southwest of Australia, and the two woods are frequently confused. They can be distinguished by cutting an unweathered splinter and burning it: karri burns completely to a white ash, whereas jarrah forms charcoal.

Alec

that's neither jarrah or karri.

it's called ekki (the white deposit in the pores gives it away) but is also known as azobe and was used for sleepers for about 100 years and they are still there now. very tough on cutting tools i believe they use tungsten carbide for cutting it up.

if its going to be window sill be prepared for a massive amount of splitting and cracks appearing all over it. dry it very slowly...

here is a bit of info.

Ekki | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods)

i used it for this pestle and mortar, it's rock hard...

P1020384.jpg.33fe427de6c05eff99b974b635b0db41.jpg

P1020383.jpg.a8c077f6a5bc18d446174333418e665f.jpg

Iy definitely not oak! Smelt quite fruity when milling it, some pink some more yellow but all had lovely grain and incredibly hard, did a bit of beechwood this afternoon at almost 2 X the speed of cut.

Fruity/rancid all the same with my messed.up sense of smell or what I have left of it. Will forward that link into my mate, the stuff was incredibly dry, moisture meter averaged out at around 17%

• 4 months later...

My good friend Martin "Burrell" droped off some prime milled Elm some two years ago so I could make a small rustic table for our garden. It has taken me forever to have time to do it but thanks to some saws not turning up for service........the job got done:thumbup:

Thanks Martin, top guy:thumbup:

IMG_20141026_193140.jpg.18da2eaf2d34aa60ecc06ea27a81d075.jpg