Silky Katanaboy. Mental as it looks?

mcs tree services

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
was browsing the web for a nice new, and larger silky, as i like to avoid aeriel chainsaw work where possible, when i came across the KATANABOY, a 50cm blade folding saw. I was just wondering if anyone owned or ever used one? is it as mental as it looks? is it any use up the tree or is it too big to climb with effectively? Any advice would be appreciated on this, because at approx £140 the last thing i want to do is buy something not fit for purpose.

HI ALL does anyone use a KATANA BOY large silky saw thanks jon :thumbup:

I have sharpened my Gomtaro today for about the 4th time, using a £6 feather edge diamond file off Amazon.

I did it while stood in the orchard, it took about 15 minutes and it is as sharp as when it was new.

Don't be fooled into thinking you can't sharpen the ones that are impulse hardened. You can, just don't go mental with the file.

Anyone thinking you can't sharpen them and you have to throw them away, please throw them my way. I will pay postage plus the price of a pint. :)

Yes the silkys can be sharpened takes around 15mins a side on all 3 edges.

The katana boy is a beast and will be getting one in the weeks from overseas as its cheaper, even with p&p.

For bigger stuff try either the natanoko, masaru, sugowaza all these have large to xl teeth so are very aggressive in the cut. You may fine it a little harder to start the cut because of this.

Also whilst looking into the bigger saws found that the bigboy has a slightly thinner blade (if i remember right. So easier to bend and snap.

Something i did learn recently was that the straight bladed saw are meant for use from waist to head height and curved saws below waist and abover head height.

If you do go for a big saw just simply attach to the harness at 4-8 o'clock positionstill easy to get to and out of the way from lanyard saws etc

Edited by Dan Earp