Who is not qualified...?

Ty Korrigan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The training industry is exactly that a money making enterprise, a bit like christmas and its everywhere. We do need regulating and teaching safe practice, but why does it take 3 days to teach 3 hours worth of training? costing a fortune in time and money.

Rant over until someone ignites me again.

Thats exactly my thoughts on it, the basic chainsaw course from memory has gone from 3 days if you had some knowledge and 5 days if you were a beginner to 5 days compulsory plus another day to do NPTC asessment, an estate woodsman I knew told me when tickets first came in the asessor came to see them on the estate, asked him to fetch his smallest saw the woodsman came back with one with a 36" bar on, told the instructor they didnt run anything smaller as mostly they were felling mature trees, apparently the instructor said fair enough lets go to the pub and do the paper work, now thats a common sense approach :thumbup:

Nptc certs do not make you qualified that's for sure,like someone said above a box ticking exercise.I was studying on the job back in NZ unfortunately came across to Britian just before i could finish,sure ill be able to sort it when i get back.I think it's the best way ive seen to learn.I have a basic sound knowledge,enough to keep customers and employers/contractors happy,don't hurt my self or others,like to keep up with latest practices and methods take pride in my work,can't really ask more then that.

Hey Big J, are you still going to Germany?

That is indeed the plan, albeit in a few years once finances allow. We're going over next month for a few days to visit family and reccy the area.

I am painfully aware that qualification is king over there and have a list of distance learning courses I need to do to bolster my on-paper credentials.

I have cs30 31 but as has been said it is no substitute for experience. There are .ads on my course hoping to do their cs tickets who are barely capable of starting the damned things let alone using them lol

I failed my advanced city and guilds in carpentry & joinery, but it has not stopped me from earning a decent wage, and working on some very tricky jobs, and also jobs where i have felt privileged to work on projects of prestige. In my mind experience beats qualifications every time.

I shouldn't worry. I got mine but still didn't open many doors. They all wanted cscs cards.