Career Change

Backpain

Hi All,

There's quite a few threads on here about people changing career and it always seems to provoke an interesting discussion. There's some great stories about people getting into trees later in life and this is really my question. When are you too old for it? I'm 40 this year. I've always been active in the outdoors doing things like mountain biking, walking (with a child on my back in recent years) so consider myself pretty fit. At the moment I'm in a dead end sales job phoning people who don't want to speak to you and trying to sell something I have no real interest in......I drifted into it after being made redundant last year so it's not entirely my fault, needs must and all that.

Anyway, one day it struck me that what I really wanted to do was some thing in the outdoors. I've a mate who's a tree surgeon and he let me go out for a couple of days to try it out. It was hard work and ached the next day, but boy was it satisfying. I reckon I've got at least another 10 years hard graft left in me. Long term I'd plan to get RHS and forestry qualification and do ground based like forestry management or planning and supervision.

Is there anyone who can seriously say don't go for it you're way past it!!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with a name like backpain, is climbing tree's for a living a wise choice.? :001_tongue:

I know quite a few 40+ year olds still climbing, but they have been doing it for over 20 yrs...not sure how you'd get on just starting, but why not..?.if you are fit and strong and want to do, it then you should go for it..:001_smile:

The thing is it's not like I've never climbed. I used to be a rock climber until my early thirties and I know trees are completely different. I know what you're saying through, 40 does sound a bit old to be turning your hand to something like climbing trees for a living. I sure I could hack it up there I just think I'd be a bit slower than the young whippets. How much pressure is there to get the jobs done fast? Is it more about getting the job done right?

Welcome to the forum mate. Fair play for you wanting to get into a job that you actually enjoy, but, I think you're timing could be very bad mate. For someone starting out, you might find it a bit of a struggle to find work, seeing as there are lots of people that are going to be looking for work that will have more experience.

Good luck though mate. Just by joining and listening here you'll pick up all sorts of useful information.

Tom:001_smile:

go for it mate, life isnt a rehearsal, one less telesales guy in the world can only be a good thing. the only thing i would say is stay out of the tree just now, it is easier to teach a tree cutter to climb than a rock climber to cut trees. if you want to stay safe get loads of ground work and felling under your belt, you need to get work fit, and know how wood works. depending on species and time of year, it all acts different under the saw. this is the place to find some work experience mate

Why not look at doing something like a long distance forestry degree like what they offer at Bangor, while staying working as that would then allow you to keep your current job, thereby supporting your family before making any jump/causing added stress?

H