Is Ash the only wood you can burn green ?

woodland dweller

Ash when felled in winter usually has a Moitsture Content of about 35%. I did pick some up a while ago that had been felled in autumn and the leaves were left on for a couple of months, that was 27% approx.

When a log is addded to a fire the first thing the energy within the log does is to evaporate the remaining moisture. Once thats done the remaining energy is converted into heat. So less moisture = more heat.

All woods when the burn give off gases that contain crerosote. If the heat in the fire/stove is not hot enough to combust that crerosote then it will condense in the chimney and form tar, this is combustible and the main cause of chimney fires.

So green/wet woods can equal poor stove performance and tar in the flue. Adding some primarty air under the fire in a multifuel stove will help the stove to burn hotter so that you get a decent heat and minimal tar. If you can though burn it dry.

A

They might have been 16% on the outside but if you split it again and measured in the middle it would have been higher

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Ditto - there's no way that the wood will be 16% in that short space of time.

Also as also said winter felled ash will have less water content then now...

:001_smile:

They might have been 16% on the outside but if you split it again and measured in the middle it would have been higher

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Depending on where you live, but theres no way i can get my wood down to 16%. just tested some bone dry beech,(air dried for 2 years) and it is reading 22% in the middle.

Just split some and retested with the moisture meter the ones sat next to the wood burner reading 16% are 18% inside and the ones furthest from the wood burner reading 22 % are 25 % inside. This is the first time i've used fresh cut wood but remembering the old firewood poem " ash dry or green fit for a queen" i thought i would give it a go as i have run low on the usual Douglas i burn. Hey s varty and rob D read the start of my thread i stacked 3 wheel barrow loads beside my woodburner actually leaning against it, then cranked it up so like kilning it to get it to this moisture content. And yes the meter is ok as i calibrated it with a mates.

Just split some and retested with the moisture meter the ones sat next to the wood burner reading 16% are 18% inside and the ones furthest from the wood burner reading 22 % are 25 % inside. This is the first time i've used fresh cut wood but remembering the old firewood poem " ash dry or green fit for a queen" i thought i would give it a go as i have run low on the usual Douglas i burn. Hey s varty and rob D read the start of my thread i stacked 3 wheel barrow loads beside my woodburner actually leaning against it, then cranked it up so like kilning it to get it to this moisture content. And yes the meter is ok as i calibrated it with a mates.

If you dried it next to your stove its not green is it.