Topping

RC0

Reg,

did you make the horizontal cut on the Humboldt like that here in the UK before you went to Canada? or did the long spikes (thick barked conifers) and 3/4 wrap handle change your cutting technique?

Did you fit the 3/4 wrap handle mainly for felling on the ground?

cheers

No its all about image out here Tim, like the Stanfield sweater Im wearing ( you probably didn't notice that one)!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair questions really. Good on ya.

Im sure people used to ask and probe more on the forums in general. If you don't understand something, ask....there's no shame in that.

The full wrap is more ergonomic, no doubt, better options. Only real shortcoming is that it obviously cant cut as close to the ground.

I avoid the long gaffs most of the time. Pulling them out takes a lot more effort, which adds up on bigger or multiple trees. I'd rather scramble and skid up up the first 30 ft on the pole gaffs and then get the benefit higher up when I hit thinner bark.

The humboldt is a fast and easy cut to make. Not the best for everything, but seems to be the better for throwing a top or tree further from the stump.

Fair questions really. Good on ya.

Im sure people used to ask and probe more on the forums in general. If you don't understand something, ask....there's no shame in that.

The full wrap is more ergonomic, no doubt, better options. Only real shortcoming is that it obviously cant cut as close to the ground.

I avoid the long gaffs most of the time. Pulling them out takes a lot more effort, which adds up on bigger or multiple trees. I'd rather scramble and skid up up the first 30 ft on the pole gaffs and then get the benefit higher up when I hit thinner bark.

The humboldt is a fast and easy cut to make. Not the best for everything, but seems to be the better for throwing a top or tree further from the stump.

Nice vids as usual reg that sure was a skinny pole.

I have always wondered why americians do that cut, i always got taught that the bottom of the gob is what breaks the hinge. But it seems that is not the case if that cut throws the stumps off further?

The humbolt v traditional notch has been discussed at length, I'm sure on arbtalk. I use it alot in the tree, when using the pushing chain, it's just easier and faster to position the saw for the next cut after the undercut.

On the other hand I find it harder due to lack of practice to do a humbolt using pulling chain. Usually ending up with a Dutchman on the far side. It's all about practice like everything.

Nice sweater Reg

I have always wondered why americians do that cut, i always got taught that the bottom of the gob is what breaks the hinge. But it seems that is not the case if that cut throws the stumps off further?

When I did the dismantling course cs41, the instructor had us throwing tops using two 45 degree cuts like an open bird beak, the idea of it was as you do the back cut and the top goes over you blast through the hinge so the top slides off the stem rather than snapping off. This reduces the movement of the stem and stops you going for a ride as the top leaves. I think this may happen if fell with the humbolt on the ground hence the tree ends up further from the stump.

May be wrong and not trying to teach you to suck eggs:thumbup1:

Nice vid as always Reg

No its all about image out here Tim, like the Stanfield sweater Im wearing ( you probably didn't notice that one)!

just assumed it was a christmas present :biggrin:

re 'image' out there, after I saw the vid with the 16" bar on the 201 I knew you'd lost it :001_smile:

looking forward to the next vid

Nice vids as usual reg that sure was a skinny pole.

We yacked for several pages about the Humboldt cut in this thread James, a little while back.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/35344-fir-zip-line.html

Scott (faller) has a Stanfield on in the photos....so new to the west coast, I didn’t feel quite worthy to have one at that early stage.

When I did the dismantling course cs41, the instructor had us throwing tops using two 45 degree cuts like an open bird beak, the idea of it was as you do the back cut and the top goes over you blast through the hinge so the top slides off the stem rather than snapping off. This reduces the movement of the stem and stops you going for a ride as the top leaves. I think this may happen if fell with the humbolt on the ground hence the tree ends up further from the stump.

Its mainly the push-back that creates the ride. Watch the first shot in this vid: Use HD setting on youtube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZZB_FTDnwg&list=UUpYc97NCVnOjJtrDQlQjtbA&index=7]Treework, Spring, 2012, Victoria BC - YouTube[/ame]

Really surprised that a training company is encouraging people to cut through a hinge for what is essentially entree level climbing (CS). Not to suggest you're an entree level climber, Dowie.

Small tops (6in) in an open space is fine, but with big stuff you could get seriously hurt, or worse. As Pete said, miss timed, a gust of wind or worst of all your Top gets caught in another tree and is left just sitting on your stump, severed.

re 'image' out there, after I saw the vid with the 16" bar on the 201 I knew you'd lost it

So you’re saying I at least had it once Tim, well thats something I suppose!

Really surprised that a training company is encouraging people to cut through a hinge for what is essentially entree level climbing (CS). Not to suggest you're an entree level climber, Dowie.

Small tops (6in) in an open space is fine, but with big stuff you could get seriously hurt, or worse. As Pete said, miss timed, a gust of wind or worst of all your Top gets caught in another tree and is left just sitting on your stump severed

That's what they had us doing to reduce the push back, I totally take on board what you and Pete have said, and on balance I will leave the hinge alone in future. Thanks for the comments. :thumbup1: