To Mog or not to Mog, that is the question....

richy_B

Hello guys,

a slight conundrum. I am moving into a new line of business focussing more on biofuels/recycling. Acquisition of arisings then processing to a range of final products. This entails bulk collection of chip and the moving of logs/trunk sections. A month or so back I posted about possible log vehicles and got some very useful replies (Thanks guys). Having looked into those further I stumbled on a new issue.

Is it better or worse, more or less economical, etc to have one vehicle that does it all or two vehicles do 50/50? The two options I've come up with are:

1. Hook loader rigid lorry with a few bulk 30cube skips and another rigid lorry with a brick grab that would be converted to a timber grab. Advantages would be quite good availability purchase wise, lots of mechanics available around London, decent speed (could be doing 40 mile round trips). Disadvantages being two sets of insurance, MOT, etc. For London need to be LEZ compliant and also space. From some looking around I reckon both could be bought for around £40k total.

2. Unimog (probably 1600). Forestry grab mounted on the back. Pulling a hook loading trailer. Something like this but an older model: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ab2JfP_LuDw/Td0fYImnQsI/AAAAAAAAIBk/Z2ZRw5_sXj8/s1600/Mercedes-Benz+Unimog+timber+2.jpg

Advantages being offroad ability (fields, grass, nothing serious), LEZ exempt if AGRI registered, one set of repairs/insurance/etc, less yard space and of course very cool! Disadvantages being higher initial cost, lower travel speed, lower payload for trailer (although would be sufficient for 90% of the time), less mechanics around London. Not got an accurate price but I am figuring around £40K for a decent mog then £10k for crane set up and £15K for the hook loader trailer so around £65K in total. I suppose this could be applied to a normal tractor but I'd worry the speed might be an issue on longer runs.

What would you opt for? I worry the 'big boys toys' perspective clouds my judgement here! Any comments welcomed.

EDIT - Maintenance. Assume a MOG can be an expensive item to maintain, although two lorries could as well i guess.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay... here's a can of worms... I was looking at a particularly tasty Mog this week, which is currently Ag registered.

I've read through a lot of the posts on here and there seems to be loads of differing opinions - I find it really difficult to wade through the DVLA/VOSA regs on the web so I gave DVLA a call.

They tell me that unless I am using the (potential) Mog to work on and move between bits of land that I own (it would be used for mostly 'domestic' work, as in not Forestry) the vehicle cannot enjoy this status and would need to be MOT'd and registered as private HGV. It was a 406 weighing 3600KG...

Can anyone tell me how they run their Mogs legitimately on the road for mixed domestic work, removing arisings from site to your own yard (to process and sell on as firewood and chip), under Ag status?

Legitimately, as in not the 'fingers' crossed approach! I'm quite prepared to cost 'Operators licence' and all other appropriate compliance, etc into my business model... well try to!

Thanks...

Hello guys,

a slight conundrum. I am moving into a new line of business focussing more on biofuels/recycling. Acquisition of arisings then processing to a range of final products. This entails bulk collection of chip and the moving of logs/trunk sections. A month or so back I posted about possible log vehicles and got some very useful replies (Thanks guys). Having looked into those further I stumbled on a new issue.

Is it better or worse, more or less economical, etc to have one vehicle that does it all or two vehicles do 50/50? The two options I've come up with are:

1. Hook loader rigid lorry with a few bulk 30cube skips and another rigid lorry with a brick grab that would be converted to a timber grab. Advantages would be quite good availability purchase wise, lots of mechanics available around London, decent speed (could be doing 40 mile round trips). Disadvantages being two sets of insurance, MOT, etc. For London need to be LEZ compliant and also space. From some looking around I reckon both could be bought for around £40k total.

2. Unimog (probably 1600). Forestry grab mounted on the back. Pulling a hook loading trailer. Something like this but an older model: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ab2JfP_LuDw/Td0fYImnQsI/AAAAAAAAIBk/Z2ZRw5_sXj8/s1600/Mercedes-Benz+Unimog+timber+2.jpg

Advantages being offroad ability (fields, grass, nothing serious), LEZ exempt if AGRI registered, one set of repairs/insurance/etc, less yard space and of course very cool! Disadvantages being higher initial cost, lower travel speed, lower payload for trailer (although would be sufficient for 90% of the time), less mechanics around London. Not got an accurate price but I am figuring around £40K for a decent mog then £10k for crane set up and £15K for the hook loader trailer so around £65K in total. I suppose this could be applied to a normal tractor but I'd worry the speed might be an issue on longer runs.

What would you opt for? I worry the 'big boys toys' perspective clouds my judgement here! Any comments welcomed.

EDIT - Maintenance. Assume a MOG can be an expensive item to maintain, although two lorries could as well i guess.

Has a Unimog owner and previously a truck owner (lots of them) I am struggling to see why its more expensive to run a Mog. Yes if all you have run before is a 4x4/car/van/tractor then yes. you are in for a shock. Trucks can rack up the bills!

London LEZ means you will have to spend a decent amount for a newish Unimog, mine won't cut it at a 51 plate.

Sounds exciting your new project, good luck.

Steve

Has a Unimog owner and previously a truck owner (lots of them) I am struggling to see why its more expensive to run a Mog. Yes if all you have run before is a 4x4/car/van/tractor then yes. you are in for a shock. Trucks can rack up the bills!

London LEZ means you will have to spend a decent amount for a newish Unimog, mine won't cut it at a 51 plate.

Sounds exciting your new project, good luck.

Steve

if you can get you mog ag registered LEZ is no problem, i may be wrong but we have never had a problem, we run 2 mogs on ag licence but as a company we do hold a operators licence so i spose this is how we are doing it.

if you can get you mog ag registered LEZ is no problem, i may be wrong but we have never had a problem, we run 2 mogs on ag licence but as a company we do hold a operators licence so i spose this is how we are doing it.

Yes the leZ doesn't come into ag vehies at the momment. There is no real ligitinate way to run a mog or any vehicle that's used Dommesticly on an ag register but things like having an I liscence and running on white and having an mot mean if pulled your at least trying...

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

If your Mogs are on an 'O' licence then this must be displayed in the window. If the mog is over 7490 kgs & not ag then it is HGV and would be subject to LEZ (Also the driver would need HGV licence)

These things should be known by user & operators. (I take it you are saying your mogs are used for Ag only?)

The original thread was comparison between HGV trucks, and Mogs for non ag use, this would would make the mog subject to LEZ.

Steve