First job advice needed !!!

Graham 777

Don't go any shorter than 300mm if you're using it for felling, the longer the blade the fewer times you have to change direction to achieve the same cutting distance, therefore less energy expended. Can you stretch to a slightly longer one? My Zubat 330 doesn't feel long.

Awesome attitude and approach by the way, hats off to you.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tom thank's for your prompt answer :thumbup1:I've ruled out a chainsaw as i've not had any formal training YET in regard's to using a chainsaw "at height" so from a safety perspective I think it's best to do this job by hand and put some of the cash earned toward's paying for my training and ticket's later on can you recommend which silky to buy bearing in mind "fund's" are low !! :blushing:

:thumbup1: Good attitude to have, I'm sure you will go far and good luck with your first 'proper' job

What is wrong with someone wanting to make a start? He obviously knows his limitations, accepts that he is going to be using a handsaw to do the job, just wonders whether its worth investing in a decent handsaw.

Oh my bad, we're all experts aren't we. :001_rolleyes:

Do you think if you need to ask questions like that you should be doing the job in the first place?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

We all had to start somewhere, He asked for help, and came to the right place. Go for a silky and wd40 as said before, be careful with it- they bite! Take your time, enjoy it, keep using arbtalk and ask as many questions as you like. Read Silky's thread, its a testament to hard work.

Good point Normanlumber thingy, wear a good pair of gloves if using a silky, a simple slip can do a LOT of damage in a hurry!! Cut away from flesh and bone, make sure you have no human body parts in range of the cutty bit. This may sound like we think you're stupid, we don't, but many have been bitten and it bloomin hurts and bleeds.

What is wrong with someone wanting to make a start? He obviously knows his limitations, accepts that he is going to be using a handsaw to do the job, just wonders whether its worth investing in a decent handsaw.

Oh my bad, we're all experts aren't we. :001_rolleyes:

First few trees I felled, I did with a Sandvik pruning saw. We all have to start somewhere. :thumbup1:

Hi Tom thank's for your prompt answer :thumbup1:I've ruled out a chainsaw as i've not had any formal training YET in regard's to using a chainsaw "at height" so from a safety perspective I think it's best to do this job by hand and put some of the cash earned toward's paying for my training and ticket's later on can you recommend which silky to buy bearing in mind "fund's" are low !! :blushing:

As said by others, great attitude, I would recommend getting yourself a personal first aid kit Stein do one at about a tenner. Fits in a pocket. I've pulled a few silkys over my hands, knuckles seem to be magnetised, and it really hurts and slows you down. It will also be your first bit of chainsaw kit.

Gloves and helmet. You can take the ear defenders off. Get into that professional frame of mind from the start.

If I have to tackle that size at height I use my silky hauyachi blade off the pole pruner. As stated anything over 330mm will make the job easier.

Another thing I was amazed at when I started and had similar size conifer wood to cut through is the sheer weight of the material.

Take your time and always think "can I do this a better way?"

Hope I'm not patronising you?

:thumbup1:

Remember PL, EL, rescue trained groundie, current LOLER tickets on any climbing equipment, risk assessment, method statement, TPO and CA checks, nesting bird surveys (don't fall foul of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981) and you're ready to rock!

Decent Silky is a must, 300mm minimum.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App