Tennis elbow

Graham S

I've had it for about 10 yrs on and off!

Went to the docs for the first time last yr and was sent to physio, was told to warm up before work with some light stretches and was given 4 courses of ultrasound.

The ultrasound worked a treat, but it fared up again around 3 weeks ago, doing some large takedowns with the 66 in the tree.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DO NOT HAVE A CORTISOL INJECTION!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Had the same a few years ago from post ramming. Doc offered steroids - went away to consider and do my own research and speak to others etc etc. Different doc suggested and referred me to physio - so glad I did rather than the injection - the latter only masks the symptoms, you do more damage with no pain and it never heals properly - not acceptable for physical job / living.

I went to my doctors recently for another matter; the subject of steroid injections came up and very interestingly she said they (the surgery - medicine in general?) no longer reccommend such injections! Wow!

DO NOT HAVE A CORTISOL INJECTION!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Had the same a few years ago from post ramming. Doc offered steroids - went away to consider and do my own research and speak to others etc etc. Different doc suggested and referred me to physio - so glad I did rather than the injection - the latter only masks the symptoms, you do more damage with no pain and it never heals properly - not acceptable for physical job / living.

I went to my doctors recently for another matter; the subject of steroid injections came up and very interestingly she said they (the surgery - medicine in general?) no longer reccommend such injections! Wow!

Hydro quartizone ( spelling ) Doesn't just " mask " it .It reduces the inflammation , thats why it stops hurting . What you must do is rest it for a period after the injection and the don't do the thing that caused it again . Zig Zag instead of prussic maybe ?

Hydrocortisone used to be used widely for injection for tennis elbow. As someone else posted though it has been found to delay healing so isn't generally used now. 95% of tennis elbows heal in about 18 months whatever you do. Ice, nsaid gels, massage, stretching, supports and physio all help. So I'd ice it, go for physio and probably avoid the injection. Changing working practices can help but is often difficult.

I also had this for a year and i think the light weight oregon hookeroon did it as i had to use lots of force to get the head to stick in the wood and i did it for weeks on end. The best thing to do is first of all try to reduce the inflammation with ibuprofen and then see some one about working on the weakness and straightening the tendons and knots out. They did this on me with a boxers bruising iron. Very sore but it worked and a support really helps also. If you look after it and have the underlying issue sorted then think about a cortisone injection as this may be away to put the final nail in its coffin it did for me. fingers crossed i have not had it back for a year now.

I used to get this up till a few years ago when I changed my climbing style to a spider jack. It used to be an almost constant pain from my left elbow down my forearm. Was considering acupuncture as I did not like the idea of steroid injections. What style of climbing are you using?