The Art of Zig Zag

silky fox

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense intended gents, but when Petzl says don't use... Thats enough for me to go back to tying a hitch..

Oval carabiners and rubber rings aside..

IMO..

Agreed. We'd already retired the ZZ just in case. pretty glad we did now. Revisit the situation when Petzl gives the all clear.

Posted on 20th Apr 2013 @ 10:22 AM

Do NOT use your Zigzag until further notice!

Released by Petzl:

Safety Alert

Stop use Petzl ZIGZAG mechanical Prusik

Sku. D22

This information is complementary to the Safety Information issued April 15, 2013

On Friday, April 12, Petzl was informed of an accidental fall in a training center in Germany. The injured person was moving at height using a Petzl ZIGZAG mechanical Prusik. The initial observations have shown that the fall was due to a failure of the rope end attachment hole. Our investigation and further testing lead us to conclude that this failure was the result of a particular configuration of a cantilevered and off axis loaded upper carabiner.

Petzl test Results:

1/3 - Breaking strength of the ZIGZAG’s rope end attachment hole

With this carabiner configuration, the breaking strength of the rope end attachment hole is greater than 15 kN.

2/3 - ZIGZAG with a cantilevered upper carabiner

This is an incorrect configuration. Note: most of the carabiners tested this way pivot and correct themselves to be loaded on the major axis starting at 2 kN of force. Some carabiners pivoted and corrected themselves at 10 kN, without damaging the upper attachment hole.

3/3 - ZIGZAG with a cantilevered and off axis upper loaded upper carabiner

This is an incorrect configuration.

In this configuration, we have observed a failure of the rope end attachment hole of the ZIGZAG under 4 kN of charge (equivalent to short fall, repeated shock or sudden stop, etc).

The cantilevered upper carabiner in this particular configuration multiplies the forces applied to the rope end attachment hole, leading to its failure.

Petzl decisions:

1 - As a measure of precaution, we ask that you stop using your ZIGZAG mechanical Prusik.

2 - This stoppage will remains in place until we have approved and communicated an appropriate solution to maximize the safety of ZIGZAG users.

3 - We have decided to stop sales of ZIGZAG mechanical Prusiks.

4 - While there currently may be several solutions to maintain the upper carabiner correctly oriented on its major axis, Petzl cannot presently guarantee their effectiveness in all circumstances because we have not tested them sufficiently.

5 - Our teams are mobilized to quickly develop and verify a solution specifically for the ZIGZAG to maintain the upper carabiner oriented on its major axis.

6 - The availability of this solution will be communicated on http://www.petzl.com by May 22, 2013 at the latest.

We are fully aware of the inconvenience caused by this issue. Please accept our apologies and know we take this issue very seriously. The safety of our users is Petzl’s first priority. Thank you for your continued trust.

Here we go.....

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Before I had a climb the other day I looked to see how/if my Petzl krab could cross load. Every time i pulled down on it, it self pivoted so for that reason, i'm still climbing on it. Just a question aside from the failure (sort of), do you think we'd still be able to use them in comps or would they not be allowed for safety precautions?

Cheers, Jake.

Before I had a climb the other day I looked to see how/if my Petzl krab could cross load. Every time i pulled down on it, it self pivoted so for that reason, i'm still climbing on it. Just a question aside from the failure (sort of), do you think we'd still be able to use them in comps or would they not be allowed for safety precautions?

Cheers, Jake.

Petzl hav put out a statement to say stop using it http://www.treegear.com.au/safety-alert-petzl-zigzag-stop-use-notice/

As far as competition climbing I dot know about any other comps but the 3ATC have been thinking about it and I know they were going I still be aloud to be used however they would have liked to see it being backed up (tether from krab to krab ) however I'm not sure about that at the moment but shall find out and let you know

Was talking to a climber today after dropping his 200 off. He had one in the van and we looked at it. It is easy to put a carab under it the wrong way.

If you had this and was using it for playing in a tree and jumping around the place in it the carab could drop under the eye and then when you put load under it the carab didn't move back just locked in place.

So we thought that under normal working practices you would always check before using it. But mucking around in a tree you wouldn't, especially if you are a rec climber and having a bit of fun with it.

He also said he has caught his hand between the rope and zig zag part and cut his finger quite badly with it getting trapped. Has anyone else done this?

Still petzl say stop using it so I guess that's the best practice until more is found out.