Working near / over Water

Parker

Recently looked at a job which involves winching (using a tirfor) fallen over Willow trees from a fast flowing river that is probably 30ft wide.

I've worked around lakes and small rivers before but due to the speed and width of the river this one is concerning me......if we fall in there's a good chance we might get swept away. :w00t:

Has anyone done something like this before?

Ideally it would be best to wait until the flow of the river is reduced (i.e. mid summer but this can't be guaranteed and its to do with an insurance claim so the willows need to be removed asap!) :thumbdown:

Thinking of getting staff to wear buoyancy aids and having at least 1 throw line on site. Might also look at roping in for the person tying the winch cables onto the trees as they are on the edge of the bank.

Any suggestions / comments please :001_smile:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did a sycamore on Monday from a boat in the river Tay , this was the only form of access other than foot , 15 foot deep and approx 50-60 meter across , it came in with a landslide and is right in the way for the fishing , trimmed it of down to water level and will have to get the rest when the river is at summer level , even then I won't manage to get it at the root !

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

That will be an interesting RA. You will need to bear in mind that chainsaw trousers in water will be very heavy so if you do go down the buoyancy aid pathway, which would be sensible, you will need to increase the floatation capabilities to compensate ie you need to use buoyancy aids rated for people heavier than your staff. You would also be advised that climbing lids would be safer for anyone liable to end up in the water due to them being secured by a strap like kayaking helmets. You will also need to adjust your winch loadings in accordance with the flow rate of the river as the drag will be multiplied by a surprising amount. My advice woud be start small and work up until you feel you are striking a good balance. Hope it all goes well and looking forward to seeing lots of pics. :thumbup1:

Would it be feasible to put a rope across the river a little downstream of where you're working, to grab if somebody falls in?

Ditto. If you leave it untill water level drops will the bank be steep to pull it up, may be better to do when river high do quit a lot of trees near rivers with steep banks waited till high water level and no problem.

Ditto. If you leave it untill water level drops will the bank be steep to pull it up, may be better to do when river high do quit a lot of trees near rivers with steep banks waited till high water level and no problem.

Not easily, it's private properties on the other side and I doubt they would be too keen with that.

Was thinking along the lines of rescue throw lines though.

Good thinking about the water levels making it easier to winch stuff up the bank. :thumbup1:

If you rely on throw lines and the flow is fast youd better be very quick, and accurate with the launching of the throw lines. Get a lifeguard to explain/show at your local pool.

If, heaven forbid, something went wrong and the 'beak' will want to be impressed with your precautions - surely a lane-rope (with floats every 5 mtrs) across the river could be let out in a belly a few mtrs downstream without having to get permission from miserable householders.

You couold use an old climbing rope with empty milk cartons attached.

You could ask the local canoe club for volunteers- like they do for triathlon swims.

We felled some badly leaning willows into the river Trent last year (more to do this year)

Only one person working waterside at one time, harnessed up with a lifeline to two lads on safe ground.

Where we could i roped into any safe, overhanging trees.

Make sure any saws attached to you are on short strops to avoid them going in the drink :lol: