Dangerous toys?

Stihlben

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one for recurve bow - haven't had it out for a while as I need a new butt. Standard type recurve, 40lb draw weight at 30". Need a bit of back-netting when I haven't practiced for a while or I tend to spend a lot of time arrow-finding.

Alec

Think it has a lot to do with the fact that if you hit the animal in the wrong place it can run on and die a painful death where as with a gun, chances are the beast'll still drop

Unless of course your a lousy shot. Before fire arms I believe bow and arrow was the preferred means of taking down game, unless Tesco's were around back than?

easy-lift guy

Haha that's what I meant by hit the animal in the wrong place. There's too many idiots here that wouldn't hesitate to get a bow and start plugging animals un successfully if it was legal, shame really as I'm sure if done properly its a great sport, not to mention stalking would've been entertaining due to the distance needed to make a clean kill

I'm friends with a few keepers, and some of the bow-shot deer that are around with arrows stuck through necks, jaws, or in their bodies and are still alive are distressing. Luckily most are so wounded that an easy target to cull them is presented, but still sad to see. Poaching is rife around here, so adherence to the letter of the law is out of the question.

On a side not, I have a flat bow, which I still can't use following my little health episode, hoping to get it out again sometime this year.