Do you buy online or local

Steve Bullman

Where do you buy, and why?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you buy, and why?

• Online - I can get cheaper prices buying online
    • Online - I like the convenience of being able to purchase online 24 hours a day
    • Online - There is no local retailer
    • Local - I get better support locally if I have purchased my machines from them direct
    • Local - I like to support my local dealer even if it means paying extra

A bit of both really...

Shop online for most climbing supplies (wider selection available) and the occasional item not normally stocked locally.

Shop locally for everything else.. why? Great customer service, Helpful advice (not just about making a sale), Try before you buy, No postage charges and probably the most important.. get to hear all the gossip :w00t:

Jay

Same as, & mostly same reasons.:biggrin:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess if you know exactly what part or material you need then you don't often require the skills or know-how of the dealer - different needs for everyone.

Hmmm. I asked the dealer for a fuel line and impulse line for a Stihl 026. They looked blank. In the end, they turned the computer screen round and I showed them what the bits were.....

Alec

Try to support local where I can but after trying to charge me £4.60 for a spark plug when I can get a box of 10 online for £10 - £16 depending upon make they can go and jump

Now I just keep a few bits and pieces on the shelf and have enough saws that if one plays up its not a problem I just use a different one order the bits online and fix when I get round to it

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I buy my kit from Carrs in Bristol. I grew up 8 miles away in north Somerset and went to school with the owners son and daughter.

They give me a fair price, look after my machines well, get me anything I need ordered and can post to me next day if I'm not up that way (visiting family and friends).

My local shop are a complete rip off, and did the most shocking work on my 088.

They used the wrong sized piston stop on it and put a dent in the top of the piston which cracked and knackered the saw. They had charged my a lot of money to do this and wouldn't accept it was there fault or give me a refund or money back/off. They also failed to fix my hedge trimmers when they wernt working, Carrs fixed it in no time for not very much.

I now hiss at the shop every time I drive past.

It's a shame because I would much prefer to pop round the corner like I used to but I'm not supporting clueless, overpriced, donkeys!!

allmy machines come from carrs, good service,good price

I am just starting to send out fuel by carrier to some of my more distant customers.

I can see the biggest problem is that this delivery is a 'signed for service' and that often in the smaller business there is nobody at home all day.

How do you guys who buy online get on with receiving deliveries?

MNR mowers of Honiton for me not so close really there is a Husky dealer less than ten minutes from me but would rather driven half an hour and I do so much work in east Devon I often think it could be worth moving over that way. Why bother saving a couple of pounds here and there on consumables when these guys are always happy to see you and will help sort any returns with little hassle at all .I have to say on price they have looked after me in the past.

I am just starting to send out fuel by carrier to some of my more distant customers.

I can see the biggest problem is that this delivery is a 'signed for service' and that often in the smaller business there is nobody at home all day.

How do you guys who buy online get on with receiving deliveries?

I specify on the delivery instructions what to do of I'm not in. The local delivery drivers are friendly and I've had no issues at all.