Very accurate chain sharpener

Old WoodChip

Depends on your eye/hand coordination. It would be a quick way to get you working again with a naily/ stony tree and then throw the chain away. Does the same job as a bench grinder though not likely as accurate. Theres times when I would have liked to use this technique. 5 x sharpen on a 36inch bar going through a holly stem TBH. There was no point in trying to be really accurate as in less than 30 secs. it was blunt again.

I never use abrasive wheels of any king in chain, A: removes too much material and you get less life from chains, and B:abrasion causes alloy of heat, anymore than a quick nick in each cutter and the cutter gets so hot the factory hardening is almost completely removed! And the chain blunts in second

Had a local dealer sharpen 3 chains for me, all three came back ground to hell and knackered!!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Had a local dealer sharpen 3 chains for me, all three came back ground to hell and knackered!!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Only once did I take a chain to local dealer, he burnt every cutter and ruined the chain so never again.

Obviously there are good and bad dealers and all down to how much they know (or how greedy they are and want to keep selling you new chains) :sneaky2:

Only once did I take a chain to local dealer, he burnt every cutter and ruined the chain so never again.

Obviously there are good and bad dealers and all down to how much they know (or how greedy they are and want to keep selling you new chains) :sneaky2:

Exactly the same here! burnt cutters and even hit the tie straps on one :confused1:

Oh well lesson learned! file and elbow grease! :thumbup1:

Before you all get arsey about this I have done it in the past and when done with care it is acceptable.

I was forced into this by a shrapnel ridden lump of timber that had to be extracted through a pedestrian doorway

I wouldn’t use it as a daily event but I wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand either.