First saw

aitch

I'm a reletive newbie to chainsaw but having got a decent amount of experience mainly on a MS261, I'm in the market for my own saw.

I do like the 261 but my budget won't strech and the stuff i'm doing i'll be able to get away with something smaller. Basically small trees and ground work. My idea is to get something that will do me for a long time and when my experience builds up i'll get a bigger saw to complete the set!

I've got a budget of around £300 so I've been looking at the stihl MS211 or Husky 435 and i've pretty much decided on the husky.

Is it worth me saving that bit extra for the next model up? I have to draw the line in the sand somewhere though.

Also is it worth getting the easy start model?

I know there is never a right answer in this sort of thing only opinions but any advice appreciated.

A friend has a 435 easy start. Weird contraption. Nice enough saw but personally I wouldn't have a fancy version of it. Stick with the basic one, save a few quid now and in the future.

And long term a 'homeowner' saw will be fine if bought new and looked after. A second hand pro saw is on the back foot already.

My first saw, which I bought about 1997 I think, was a stihl 025, mid range 'farmer's saw', I still have it and it still runs like a dream.

I bought a 211 as my first saw, with a 16 inch bar on it. I soon changed that to a 14" oregon bar and chain, and I love it. Its a small, lightweight saw, but its plucky as hell and easily handles stuff up to its bar length. If the majority of the stuff you're cutting is around 14" or less then I couldn't recommend it more, though I haven't tried the Husqvarna equivalent. If you really need to you can manage timber up to twice its bar length, but how often will you be doing that?

I doubt you'll regret it, but the choice is yours.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Those are both homeowner saws. Id suggest looking for second hand pro saws.

I did buy a second hand pro saw from ebay soon after passing but it was an expensive dud. Luckily the chap took it back but it's worried me a bit and i'm keen to get one i can look after so i am sure of it's history. I'm sure there are bargains out there though.

Something with a carb primer pump IMO.

The husky does have a primer doesn't it?

I bought a 211 as my first saw, with a 16 inch bar on it. I soon changed that to a 14" oregon bar and chain, and I love it. Its a small, lightweight saw, but its plucky as hell and easily handles stuff up to its bar length. If the majority of the stuff you're cutting is around 14" or less then I couldn't recommend it more, though I haven't tried the Husqvarna equivalent. If you really need to you can manage timber up to twice its bar length, but how often will you be doing that?

I doubt you'll regret it, but the choice is yours.

I thought i'd made my mind up but then i'm swayed again! Too indecisive. I'm sure i'll be happy with either.