Keeping pigs

sean

Tamworth's are fine but so are many of the rare breeds IMO. Over the years I've reared Saddlebacks, Gloucester Old Spots, Large Blacks and various large White X hybrids - all tasted delicious, there's really nothing to compare with home reared rare breed pork.

Make sure they've got a warm, dry, draft free house. Doesn't have to be flash, old tin sheet is fine but make it solid, stick a couple of solid pallets on the floor to keep them off the wet ground. Train them to respect 'leccy fencing - it's a lot cheaper than conventional fencing and if you don't use electric then be prepared to make everything bomb proof. Pigs rarely jump over fences - though it can happen(!) - they prefer to go under or through obstacles and never underestimate how strong they are, you'll be surprised.

If you're planning to, ahem, 'supplement' their diet with (cough) veg waste from your kitchen, just be aware that it's illegal under the crazy rules that our Ministry like to enforce without humour or compassion.:sneaky2:

Having said all that, I wish you good luck with what should hopefully turn out to be a rewarding and enjoyable undertaking. Don't expect to save a fortune on supermarket prices - or, indeed, anything - but then it's not supermarket pork you're producing. Don't forget to keep us all updated on your progress.

If you're planning to, ahem, 'supplement' their diet with (cough) veg waste from your kitchen, just be aware that it's illegal under the crazy rules that our Ministry like to enforce without humour or compassion.:sneaky2:

this is another one of those double standards, I would bet (and I have some personal experience of this) youll find far worse than kitchen waste fed to pigs on a comercial basis.

one law for the well heeled double barrel farmers, and another more strict for the more ethical more sustainable organic common garden farmer:thumbdown:

Like the milk thing ive been reading up on, there are NO recorded deaths from raw live milk, and plenty of good scientific reasons for consuming it. However the way its "standardised" kills much of the nutritional benefits and they say the risks are too high and legislate it out of existence. and yet they will keep smoking legal, drinking legal and will before too long remove health supplements from anyones grasp but via a pharmacy on prescription.

We live in a time where we are witnessing the very worst of what "statutes" can do to people.

We've got 4 Glos Old Spot/Saddleback cross, brought them on from weaners. Share them with another family, thus splitting costs and chores. They are such a joy and so easy to keep but their days are numbered - I know I'll cry like a baby when they go but they will taste delicious and they have had a life most farm animals can only dream of.

Electric fence is a must IMO. Don't name them - managed to butcher George but he was in the freezer for a very long time. Dry, draught-free house and a companion are key too. Build a wallow area for summer. It will not be cheap meat, but the best you can eat. Organic feed does make a tastier meat, but cripplingly dear.

Commercial pig men get away with feeding all manner of crap. DEFRA rules are crazy. Enjoy your pigs.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I have just had 3 Oxford Sand and Blacks slaughtered, we rear them in an old release pen in one of our woods. 2 strands of electric wire keeps them in well.

I would suggest this breed over Tams, Tams can get quite fat if your not careful. OSBs easier to finish imo. Dont expect to get much meat off one pig, but it will be the best meat ever. You want to take them to about 60kgs which will provide 40-45kgs of meat after butchery.

Tell the butcher exactly how YOU want the animal cut up, he will probably be very helpful but will do it his way if you dont say what you want! Get the trotters and ears back from the butcher, feed to the dogs they love them!

Get your feed if possible from an animal feed mill, commercial feed places like CWG and Mole Valley are bloody expensive! I feed my pigs loads of carrots and parsnips, you can get cheap bags of both from horsey places. Also pigs love apples, pick up as many as you can and save for the pigs.

Make sure the weaners have been registered and had the correct jabs, they shouldnt need anymore vet med if they have had the right stuff before you.

Make sure you have a holding number, easy to get off DEFRA webisite, and most of all have fun!

My Heavily pregnant sow once ate a whole goose in under thirty seconds in front of wife and i, truely remarkable feat, if pigs are kept indoors in an intensive system any problems ( feed related ) cause havoc, when outside your telling me they wont/ dont eat dead wildlife, seen many a hedgehog skin on outdoor sow units and around our paddocks when i kept pigs. paperwork is an sod, good local abbatoir is a must, you cannot scald end de hair a pig any sense without the right kit, believe me i've tried. if its for yourself and others who are understanding of the way a pig lives and knows to cook pork throughly, no exceptions feed them whatever the hell you want, they wont ever eat leeks though, for that reason i have told the wife never to feeed me leeks ever again.

The kiwi's and alot of other nationalities eat feral / wild pigs and boars and they hoover up all the fallen stock and wildlife and dont get ill. Fact. pigs outside are tough mother tuckers, Dont get me started on free range eggs, taste delicious and i eat loads having alot of hens around the farm but when you see them flying into a steaming pile of dog turd or a rotten sheep that has died under a piece of machinery you would be horrified, it my humble opinion they are just natures way of recycling evrything. Its a wonderful world til us humans came along.

Tommywommy