Felling big stuff

JimM

Been asked to look at felling this Hemlock. Its odd crown is due to lower limbs becoming additional vertical stems.

DBH is 59", height I reckon about the 100ft mark (not been back to make a proper assessment yet). The lower limbs are around 24"+ in diameter rising to 3/4 total height.

I'm interested in how long a 2/3 man team would take to bring this down. Two of the big limb/stems sit over the listed building in the background.

It has been climbed to the top by relatives of the tenant, without ropes, so I'm definitely rec-climbing it before any action is taken :001_smile:

So how long to do? Has anyone done similar? Are there many Hemlocks this size around still?

hemlock.JPG.b976e71a1bbdec5d4206f92244ba1486.JPG

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always longer than you think. Big trees produce more chip, more timber, more sawdust etc. They also fatigue climbers, require bigger saw & bigger rigging. So.......

Make allowances for all of the above :thumbup1:

I would not consider a 2 man team viable on such a job. Minimum of 3 & if alot of timber & brash can be free-falled then a climber can keep 3 or 4 groundies honestly employed.

Always longer than you think. Big trees produce more chip, more timber, more sawdust etc. They also fatigue climbers, require bigger saw & bigger rigging. So.......

Make allowances for all of the above :thumbup1:

I would not consider a 2 man team viable on such a job. Minimum of 3 & if alot of timber & brash can be free-falled then a climber can keep 3 or 4 groundies honestly employed.

my guess would be 3 men 2 days, only judging by previous tree of similar size

The additional stems were what I was considering as they would be a hassle on a straight fell. I was thinking of having a climber on each of the opposed stems, stripping them and felling them out before the main stem was tackled.

Have access to tractors and a big Heizo chipper.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The additional stems were what I was considering as they would be a hassle on a straight fell. I was thinking of having a climber on each of the opposed stems, stripping them and felling them out before the main stem was tackled.

ok then 1 day with the plant 1200 quid, ballpark figure. (assuming it's your gear and not the clients)

Bash it down the track in one,cut it into bits the Heizo can eat and blow it into Skips or Grain Trailers.

Easy day for two.