Any arbtalking veg growers in da house?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

well the family have been growing veg big time this year but so gutted for them . fruits done ok but in there own netting compound so ok

runner beans hardly any crop broad beans black fly killed them cabbage in a house with netting butterflys got in nothing left.

Georgette doing good and water melons not doing bad

few onions but not big a few spuds but not a good year.

will wait for whats left to be picked and spray with roundup to kill everthing.

start fresh for next year.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised at the "bad year" comments.

I do this stuff on a large scale as a living and in a big poly tunnel for fun. I thought it had been a pretty good year in all.

Soft fruit did well and is still doing so. Raspberries are still picking but the recent wind has knocked them about a bit. Strawberry main crop had good weather which is also good for sales. Apples have started, lighter crop than I would like to see but still looking acceptable so far. Can do without hail though!

Don't grow so much veg through the summer, runner bean crop is pleasing and quality is very good. Did have some establishment issues with leatherjackets and had to replant some. Actually worked out well as it showed that timing can be a bit later and gave some sort of succession to the cropping. Still going strong and picking 400lbs every other day. Sales could be better at times but doing OK.

As for my tunnel, everything has done very well in there this year. I am lucky to have the space for a big tunnel, something like 25x6 yards in size. Haven't really made proper use of the size but had some lovely new potatoes, carrots, peas, cucumber, tomatoes, red onions and salad onions as well as various herbs.

Some of these crops don't need to be in a tunnel but I have the space so why not. In a bad year weatherwise it would be a big advantage but not so this year as it has been very nice weather so far.

Surprisingly little insect damage in the tunnel with little or no chemicals, disease is very slight too. Only real issue I have had has been due to very hot days and lack of water.

I even double cropped some of my growbags. Had a crop of strawberries, ripped the plants out and replaced with peas. the peas are now finished and I was thinking to get lettuce in there now.

I am on my second crop of peas this year and even though I have grown a good few of them, not one single pea has left the tunnel. I stand there, pick them and eat every last one. :D

I think my slug problem is because the garden is quite sheltered. A shaded shelter belt behind it coupled with it being a corner location with grass in abundance on the other side.

If their is a Tony Croft of slugs he would love my garden. I think we have every type of slug.

I plant pot or cell grown veg. It's eaten within a week, less if it rains.

Leeks do well because they grow over winter.

P.s your poly tunnel may have the special coating that prevents insects. It's to do with light transmission and they don't thrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Doing reasonably well so far:

150 Kg spuds

Parsnips, carrots smaller crop but diddnt plant much

lettuce & salad onions doing fine

loads of courgettes

fennel

loads of mini cucumbers

melons

Poitiron - like pumpkin make lovely soup - OMG about 35 of them

squash

broccoli

Jerusalem artichokes & leeks doing well

Not so good:

Tomatoes - been too wet even here, sprayed with Bordeaux mix but they have maladie

Mick Stockbridge hi, - good crop just put a ripe tomato in with your green ones they will ripen in a few days - yes a bannana will work also - its the Ethylene gas that does it. Works best if they are put together in brown paper bag - traps the gas? not sure exactly why.

N

Edited by NFG

• 2 months later...

Right! It always happens to me. I never get/make enough time for the garden in growing season. As soon as it's over I get ambitious for next season.

I've just ordered hot beds by jack first. I want to get off to a flying start. Eco and pocket friendly early start. Tomatoes ripening before end of May. Watermelons in august, not struggling to ripen in September. Tail end of the hurricane ruined august this year for mine.

I plan to research it well and get organised in January if I get quiet days.

Peppers as well.

I have filled barrels with fresh woodchip nearly to the top then a layer of sand and started seeds off in pots. This works from February onwards. You need a second barrel to be warming as first cools. Then remix 1st barrel for another heat. A sheet if glass on top to keep it in.

A plus to the early start is things will get over the transplant vulnerable stage before spring madness kicks in with work.

First year this year that I got my peppers started early enough, had a lovely crop coming and then did'nt get into greenhouse for couple of days due to work, when I did get to it bloody caterpillars had been through the lot, tomatoes too, leaves and fruits,complete waste of time :001_cool: