Whisky

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just 'cos it says 12 on the packaging and you have had it 6 doesnt make it 18 y/old whiskey does it?

I though the aging process was in the Cask?

Dean, I am sure some of those North of the great wall, may class it as a tourist thing. BUT I did the whiskey trail up in the Highlands with my old man when I was younger. Great fun it was but a harsh awakening for a 15 year old.

Indeed it does, I was once part of a syndicate that bought a couple of barrels from the distillery, they charged a reasonable storage fee but when its mature and you want it out of bond you have to pay the duty.. That hurt

Malt neat - anything but would be sacrilege :001_smile:

I might put a bit of ice in something blended or maybe a splash of lemonade if its a bit rough.

I tend to come back to Jura and Bowmore. Quite like the Jura Superstition, it's peaty without being as heavy as the Lagavulin. The Bowmore Mariner is nice but don't see it that often. Currently on a bottle of Bowmore Small Batch Reserve - it's OK but not something I'll rush back to.

Don't mind Cragganmore or Talisker either.

Have got a bottle of 16 YO Jura Diurach's Own sat on the shelf for the day I pass the last bit of my bike test (It's taunting me from where it sits as that should have been a while ago if the weather was more favourable). Hoping that's going to be as nice as I'm expecting.

Dean, I am sure some of those North of the great wall, may class it as a tourist thing. BUT I did the whiskey trail up in the Highlands with my old man when I was younger. Great fun it was but a harsh awakening for a 15 year old.

Sounds like when we stopped off at Dalwhinnie on study tour with college - hardly anyone on the mini bus drunk whisky so I had theres. Can't remember a huge amount about the rest of the run up to Aviemore :001_smile:

Indeed it does, I was once part of a syndicate that bought a couple of barrels from the distillery, they charged a reasonable storage fee but when its mature and you want it out of bond you have to pay the duty.. That hurt

I also seem to recall from the Whiskey Trail that the casks were made from Oak or Cherry. The longer the liqueur is stored the darker it gets due to the tannins.

They poured 1 year old single malt and it was almost water like in colour.

Edited by Rich Rule