• Yes, Can be both
    • NO, can not be both
    • Not sure
    • Who gives a dam

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if they were a dealer first then got into contracting as a side ?

I dont see what difference it makes as long as they know their stuff and provide an excellent service.

I dont think some of my local customers would be to happy if I sold them a chipper and used any profit that I made from the sale to set up in competition with them. I agree that experienced users have the knowledge and the experience to pass on to prospective buyers but IMO there is a conflict of interest, at least locally.:001_smile:

I dont think some of my local customers would be to happy if I sold them a chipper and used any profit that I made from the sale to set up in competition with them. I agree that experienced users have the knowledge and the experience to pass on to prospective buyers but IMO there is a conflict of interest, at least locally.:001_smile:

thats how i see it

If it's machinery I would much rather buy from someone who has used the kit and has an understanding of capibilities. To many salesman read of a spec sheet...

Climbing equipment again it is far better to buy from someone who has experience of a product.

Honey Brothers, Craig / Judge, Nod, Ed, all fall into this thread and I would be quite happy doing business with even if they were my competitors.

This is where I differ from most, I'm not interested in what the competition is or what they're doing. There seems to be this barrier that people put up not talking to other tree surgeons, not waving when they pass each other, I get more work by getting to know and befriending all the tree surgeons in the area than ignoring or shunning them. We regularly work together or pass work on work which is out of our area or we're too busy to take on, they tip in my yard, I tip in theirs if working away

If one of the local tree surgeons set up selling machinary who gives a flying fart, I don't see a conflict of interest, infact what is the conflict of interest? :confused1: How can being more knowledgable be a conflict of interest

He will in time be more knowledgable than a dealer that has never used the product.

Interesting points you guys are making:ohmy:

Heres what we are finding, We get calls from tree companys asking for advice on all makes of machinery, mostly chippers and grinders.

How do I stop this from happening , how do we fix this, can you find parts for this etc: Great for us and business and no we do not charge for advice,

(or maybe we should)

But the bigest problem is that when we ask who they brought it from it is always from the user/dealer companys, Who are unable to support the purchasing customer. for backup, parts & service.

When asked why they did not take it back to the suppliers, its always, the same answer, they don;t want to know, or they said I have to go back the the manufacture.:cursing:

The problem here is that now the Machine/Make gets a bad name not the part time dealer.:thumbdown:

Question ?, would you buy a new Car from a car hire company or a Taxi company cause they drive them ?. Who don't have thier own garage and MOT centre etc:

The other problem would apply to equipment imported into Europe cheap from China, USA etc. and it has not got the correct CE regulations required to conform by the importer, then the user will probley not be insured.:w00t:

I think price has a lot to do with your dealer purchases and I tend to think that whilst the smaller guy will sell the equipment cheaper to the end user because his overheads are lower this also puts up the price of equipment over time as the real equipment dealers put up prices to cover costs,

IE, the more units sold the lower the margin can be due to more sales.(lower equipment rrp)

The smaller part time seller will ride on the higher prices so their price looks nice and low, But in practice they are pocketing a much higher profit, but is it not these type of deals that put up the price of goods over the longer periods long after the part time sales company have given up being there for the purchaser.

But the bigest problem is that when we ask who they brought it from it is always from the user/dealer companys, Who are unable to support the purchasing customer. for backup, parts & service.

When asked why they did not take it back to the suppliers, its always, the same answer, they don;t want to know, or they said I have to go back the the manufacture.:cursing:

I know plenty of dealer non users that do that.

They sell tackle and have no idea how to repair it, so I'm afraid that is not a problem specific to user/dealers.

I think you are describing rogue traders, of which there are many in every trade supplies.

BTW... you didn't answer my question, why does the 1260 you sell look suspicously similar to the bandit 65