Hello, new member looking for some chainsaw advice please.

mr_magicfingers

As a management plan for the broadleaves I would recommend a pollard system on 15 trees, then you can have a rotation for firewood over 15 years, whilst this advice in not necisarily the idea of this forum, adjusting your training/equipment would be ideal, you have the right ideas and the NPTC courses are the ones I would suggest, they will teach you the ground stuff you need, so have your contractor set the pollards (6ft standing poles) up for you and trim with a silky pruning saw when they are thick enough to harvest for firewood. You could always buy a semi-pro saw as they will suffice, if you're milling the wood with a chainsaw I would suggest a larger engine too 65cc+, such as an stihl ms391 or husqy 365, if not, an ms291 or husqy 555 would be a cheaper option than the pro saws, hope this helps

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would go on the nptc course before you get somone in to fell the stand of trees as its a good course and you can learn a lot and may even feel confidant to have a go at the felling yourself thus saving a bit of money(ie paying for your course and ppe etc)

as for saws just check out some of the old threads plenty of advice there.

enjoy sounds like a nice project.

carl

Definitely planning to do the courses before it all starts, yes. With the help I'm being offered I may well be able to do some of the felling myself along with the help of others, an idea that ties in with the self sufficiency thing, but only if I, and more experienced others, think it can be done safely.

As others have said, 50cc to 60cc saws would cover your felling and bucking/firewood duty.

Milling is another animal, while the above saws will do it. A 70cc or larger saw will make much quicker work of milling.

I would advise before purchasing to go and watch someone mill with a chainsaw. It is a lot of work.

If you have enough milling it may pay to look at a smaller manual bandsaw mill. Much quicker and less kerf waste.

As others have said, 50cc to 60cc saws would cover your felling and bucking/firewood duty.

Milling is another animal, while the above saws will do it. A 70cc or larger saw will make much quicker work of milling.

I would advise before purchasing to go and watch someone mill with a chainsaw. It is a lot of work.

If you have enough milling it may pay to look at a smaller manual bandsaw mill. Much quicker and less kerf waste.

Thanks, thought that might be the case. No point buying the biggest most powerful thing out there when it's not needed 90% of the time. Felling of these trees and the milling will be a one time thing, after that it will be maintenance of the broadleaf woodland and firewood production. Thinking 15/16" bar will be plenty.

If you have trees, training providers are sometimes looking for stuff to work on when running a course. You may be able to get the training at your place, provide trees, teas etc and get a healthy discount + free felling (only a few stumps to tidy up etc...)

Good luck.

PS I'd go for Stihl. You can get a Husqvarna when you get good with the Stihl.

If you have trees, training providers are sometimes looking for stuff to work on when running a course. You may be able to get the training at your place, provide trees, teas etc and get a healthy discount + free felling (only a few stumps to tidy up etc...)

Good luck.

Put your wooden spoon away. Don't need another arguing thread. Haha.

Good luck.

Stop it !!!

Sorry if stating the obvious but make sure whatever boots you get they are chainsaw ones. I would get your safety gear same time as the saw so that you're set up to go for your course.

Saw, chainsaw boots, chainsaw trousers, helmet/visor/ear muffs, and chainsaw gloves.

Also a must, a large wound dressing. I keep one in a sealed butty bag in my pocket :thumbup1:.

Sorry if stating the obvious but make sure whatever boots you get they are chainsaw ones. I would get your safety gear same time as the saw so that you're set up to go for your course.

Saw, chainsaw boots, chainsaw trousers, helmet/visor/ear muffs, and chainsaw gloves.

Also a must, a large wound dressing. I keep one in a sealed butty bag in my pocket :thumbup1:.

Also if you're working solo, a whistle.