Will the friction hitch become extinct?

holdatcharlie

Only time I don't use a hitch is clogging down when I just have an f8 on a choked single line in case I have to bail..... :thumbup1:

I could be being thick here but I can't quite visualise that. I'm intrigued since I live in constant fear when using strop/spikes on a pole of kicking out and cheese grating my coin purse on the bumpy slide down.

Any pics?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be being thick here but I can't quite visualise that. I'm intrigued since I live in constant fear when using strop/spikes on a pole of kicking out and cheese grating my coin purse on the bumpy slide down.

Any pics?

Spikes and flip line as usual on side dees then choke your climbing line onto the pole with a running bowline, feed the tail through a fig 8 clipped onto your bridge and soft lock it off. I don't use a prusik back up behind it. Which is probably naughty but I find it a pain in the arse. As I move down I slacken the line off and drop it down to by my knees and choke it back off. If (and when) I gaff out I'll only drop as far as the arc from the pole to my bridge, then I'll be hanging off the soft locked 8. I like minimal clutter so this suits me.

When my iPad is charged I'll draw a picture!

Ah cheers, I think I get it.

I have choked my main line to the stem with a running bowline, and attached the rope to my harness with a prussik, so basically the same but you've swapped the prussik for a f8.

I find (especially on smaller stems when I'm cutting and throwing at a faster pace) that it becomes too fidgety so I just use my strop and spikes and run the risk or bruised plums. I'm not sure if I'll get scolded for not having a second anchor point... :lol:

I guess it depends on various things. If you're using a lanyard instead of wire core you could switch dees so it crosses in front of you, that way if you do drop it will choke up. Only issue with that is your weight will pull your gubbins against the pole.... You also are into the risk zone of your only lifeline being easier to cut through. I always have an escape line, just in case someone appears with coffee!

iI dont think friction hitch's will become extinct. I used a prussik today to strip ivy off 4 sycamores. and will be on a prussik for the rest of the week. cheap as chips, solid as a rock and simple :) I call it caveman climbing :)

( I do still look at line around the tree and tihnk, if i was using my rw i could redirct here and do this...)

A good portion of the best climbers ive heard of and or know use blakes or prussik which must mean something :)

friction hitch all the way, i climb on a blakes and have done for 5 years, previously on a prussick must say im still impressed with how simple and easy a prussick is to use, never mind all the shiney pulleys and gadgets, its all about the work position and good rope management, and planning your route around the crown.

Le Sanglier, thats my foremost line of defence!

Worcs, Its true what you mentioned about a secondary being a good idea in case of cutting my strop, but in the end it was the coffee you mentioned that persuaded me to use a fast descent line as a backup!

Figure 8 on single line aeris is almost like free falling anyway, but good coffee should always be drunk hot! :lol: