How much profit is there hauling timber?

eggsarascal

Does seem like it's getting slightly heated from egg.

I think nick has done more than enough by telling us how much he earns. I wouldn't. Personal stuff me thinks.

Agreed, no one has to use him. I have, once shown where to drop he drops repeat loads where requested and leaves a tidy stack. I am happy with what he did for me, yes a price reduction is desirable but running a 44 tonner is very expensive. I would guess no more than 6 or 7 mpg loaded, thats about £1 a mile for fuel alone.

As in all things you usually pay for what you get.

A

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very similar to the economics of firewood production.???

The majority need to get a calculator, new batteries and basic maths.

Most haulage firms run at a loss, tesco,stobart,wincanton,tibbet&brittain,

and make their money on the distribution centres/cold stores..

Much the same as tree surgeons selling logs below cost/value for beer

money or like job ernshaws ^something for the lads to do in the yard^

One check on timber for 8 weeks just cost over £1000.. Tyre on trailer with sidewall damage.. Set air pipes on rear axle where lump cord slipped.. Air bag on trailer, suspension fault on unit... And that doesn't include 2 hydraulic hoses on crane

And from the farmers forum:

I've done nearly 10000 Kim's in 4 weeks and on unit broken 2 rear light lenses. ( this wouldn't happen on bulker work) where bits timber have fallen out crane, a rear light lense on flat trailer and a air pipe on timber trailer... Hole lot wouldn't oe to £100...

You're pleading the poor man here, then bigging up the profit to your farmer mates :lol:

I think you'll find your actual profit is somewhere between what you tell the timber boys and what you tell your farmer friends:laugh1:

Gotta make money how you can with what you got however. If folk don't like it then they can buy their own lorry. Same as many folk try to do their own firewood rather than buy it in.

And from the farmers forum:

You're pleading the poor man here, then bigging up the profit to your farmer mates :lol:

I think you'll find your actual profit is somewhere between what you tell the timber boys and what you tell your farmer friends:laugh1:

Gotta make money how you can with what you got however. If folk don't like it then they can buy their own lorry. Same as many folk try to do their own firewood rather than buy it in.

Read the post on on here properly... Only took lorry in for check yesterday morning..... The post on BFF was for the last check if you read it properly... Which is where I was loading out of farm yards and secure compounds on proper hard standing yards...

From the cord drivers ive shared a minute with at rideside who do it day in,day out,ide say they realy do earn their money,specialy when you compare their work to say those that haul pallets of corn flakes around.

Their work is tough and rough,looking like they havnt slept in a proper bed for days,worn out,tired out,with a bought sandwich in one hand and the wheel in the other, pressing on,or sitting on that grapple in the pouring rain,early starts late finishes - whatever they get they earn it.

If I'm reading this right, some one has started a thread asking for some costs. Someone has been good enough to provide them. Then the original poster criticises them.

Nick must wonder why he bothered to reply.

No, he knew who it was aimed at when he posted... Look at his first post.... Then look at next one....

He said he wasn't sure where he red it one min then 2 mins later says he saw what I note on a diff forum....

But I no what you mean....