Greenmech quad chip 160 pros/cons

JN Tree Care

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete,

Other than locking the wheels and hitch I often remove the 3 hatches from the machine if I leave it overnight at a clients and it ain't raining. I

I figure a potential thief may be put off and even if some-one nicks it the re-sale value is lessened and perhaps when the thieves contact G.M to buy a set of new hatches then there is a lead to give the police...?

Would it not help if the electronic brains of the machine where removable?

Could it still be used regardless?

Could it be offered as an option?

Regards

Ty

Simple answer - cost!

If a fancy key cost £200 and a pad was another £500 but it didn't stop it from being stolen orbmade it work any better, would you pay for it?

fair point :thumbup1:

however if it reduces insurance premiums, it will have a dual appeal as with all security devices, its anti social .... as it wont stop theives......... but put simply displaces them, they move on to steal the easier options .... Ie that kit without security devices , same as burgular alarms hat home they just walk further down the street until they see a house thats an easy target

Iain

Modify your truck perhaps...?

Simples!

Ty

How?

1. Can't make the transit wider

2. Making it higher would mean using more fuel every day plus the chip body is already capable of carrying more than would be road legal

3. There is no physical way to move the body closer to the discharge chute

A piece of pipe will cost me less than £20 that is if I can't beg one from somewhere. The truck is fine with TW's and a range of other chippers so why not mod the chipper slightly?

Simple answer - cost!

If a fancy key cost £200 and a pad was another £500 but it didn't stop it from being stolen orbmade it work any better, would you pay for it?

Would this be a typical cost or a guess?

Tracked chippers are fairly difficult to move without hydraulics being live unless you can get alongside and lift. So taking it off the trailer and away from lorry access should be more secure if the engine is well immobilised, and yes £700 is a small price to pay on a £28k machine, especially after having a 1928 nicked as well as a more expensive one. It is similar cost to the aftermarket tracker-immobiliser fitted which isn't without problems.

had my quatchip coming up a year now, great machine and im just about to get the blades ground, that 40 quid to chip for almost a yaer! i still love my 220 though, the sound of it maxed out with pop poles going through is asome lol.

Evening all,

I turn blades approx every 25-30 hours at the moment.

I know I could leave them for many more hours but I think sharpening would be cheaper than bearing replacement.

Maybe I'm being too cautious but I do like a good edge!

What say the esteemed panel of judges?

Ty

A firm in Essex which runs a raft of 1928 SafeTracs had one stolen and that was fitted with a tracklock, they then had the fleet fitted with tracking immobilisers and watched the screen as another traveled along a main route then "ping" it disappeared off of the screen!

If they want it, they'll have it!