what are these huskies worth?

chazzerb

While I agree PPE is important, I would argue that safe working practice and good technique is more important, PPE will help reduce your injury if things go wrong, but its better to avoid the accident first, PPE is only the last line of defence and will in now way guarantee that your badly injured or even killed, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

what would you suggest if you wanted it guaranteed then!:laugh1:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree PPE is important, I would argue that safe working practice and good technique is more important, PPE will help reduce your injury if things go wrong, but its better to avoid the accident first, PPE is only the last line of defence and will in now way guarantee that your badly injured or even killed, unfortunately.

Skyhuck we don't want him dead, we want him protected!!!! Hence why we suggested training and PPE!

I sort of agree with Skyhuck, what he is basically saying is that if you know the part of the bar that can cause kickback then you never cut with that part of the bar.

If you know that timber under compression can pinch a bar and throw the saw out of the cut then you learn to under cut to avoid pinching and or wedges - takes me back to a few years ago when I used my first big saws!

If you know your enemy, you can put your defence in place to counteract it and that is more important than PPE. The PPE is the final defence and not the first-line in defence against personal injury.

So, the OP should learn how to use a saw safetly and what can go wrong and the types of injury that can be caused by them and then purchase suitable PPE after knowing why he needs it.

One common injury - dropping a log on your foot, probably more common than most - get some steel caps and some head protection!

Not wishing to upset the apple cart, but, what if while he is learning to use the kit, he has an accident, like the saw throws a chain, or while getting the feel for where kickback may occur, the saw kicks back. I think the ppe should be purchased and used in conjunction with this learning curve.

If you turn up to do a cs30/31 and tell the instructor that you wont be needing ppe, as you are here to learn to use the saw properly and in this case ppe is not essential, i think you would get only one response.

PPE is NOT a substitute for proper working practice, agreed. But advising that it is not essential to a newbie is irresponsable imo.

• 2 weeks later...

safe working practice comes from experience & training, one is no good without the other so approach chainsaws with respect, they are great tools (or toys) and cut bone/flesh just as easy as wood.

Wear all the safety stuff, look after your ears too because plenty of seasoned users work without ear protection and think nothing is wrong. Deafness creeks on slowly and in later years you will all pay the price.

Be safe, be sensible and enjoy your work. When your tired stop, thats when things go wrong.

Take care & enjoy