disco or narvara

the hedge man

what do you reckon folk, im tempted to chop in my navara d22 for a discovery 2. am I mad or would it be a good decision. my navara has cost around 3 grand last year in and out of the garage- not great for getting out to jobs when i need to!

maybe I watch too much time team, but I do love them. obviously I'd have no choice but to drag round a trailer with me most of the time, instead of the d22.

do you need or want a 4x4 ,:001_smile:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why's that Nick?

havent the time or energy to go into detail... theres various posts scattered around with details.... havin owned newish range rover td6 and tdv8, a rr sport [ disco 3 with a body kit basically] a newer shape defender 90 and the disco commercial we had from new i can say that each and everyone has been pile crap from day one with things going wrong constantly, most under warranty but still no excuse..

our companies will never buy another veichle with a landrover badge thats for sure... i sold range rover and have a land cruiser amazon, sold 56 plate defender and have more reliable 54 plate L200 got rid of mrs sport and replaced with an audi Q7 [10 times veichle sport ever could be]. old mans recently bought beautiful 30k mile 07 land cruiser amazon to replace that disco3... and have to say we both had land cruisers 10 yrs ago and should stayed with them... my old one is still going with 300k on clock..

Disco, inexpensive to buy and run, plentiful spare parts and support, versatile and capable vehicles.

Like all vehicles, even Japanese ones, they need repairs occasionally and regular maintenance. Some are better than others so make sure you buy the right one..... All the info you need is out there..... I wouldn't have another Japanese 4x4 for all the tea in china..... 'Orrible contraptions....

Like Nick said, I'd just go for a Landcruiser. The VX80 series (later Amazon) has an almost perfect reputation, but as a consequence you do pay for it. They are possibly the most expensive older 4x4 with the exception of the G Wagen.

Another alternative to throw in - I've recently become quite enthused about the idea of having VW Touareg V10 TDI. I do quite a bit of towing and 309bhp and 553 lb ft of torque sounds like it would be rather useful. Interesting, they are no more expensive than the 5 cylinder 2.5 TDI despite being better specced and giving away only 4mpg (24mpg versus 28mpg).

Definitely not Navara though. As I've regularly said here, mine has been consistently terrible, but just good enough that I haven't got enough time or inclination to get shot of it. Bloody lease purchase agreements.....

I had a 1997 disco and replaced it with a new d22 in 2002. Luckily I kept the disco because the Navarra spent a lot of time in the garage. After 2 years i give up and got rid. The disco was still with us in 2008 until replaced with a d2. The D2 has been very good but mostly I think because it was a face lift model and they had sorted alot of the td5 problems. I avoid all the pickups due to the cart springs and difficult to work from the rear with the tailgate in the way and the height. The d2 we can drop the suspension if we are working on site for the day and reach in to the racking. I would like Nick channers van but I dont think I will be able to cope with the reliability. I have an Amazon bought in 2005 and all we have done to it is exhaust brake discs and 2 head light bulbs. When our d2 van dies I think it will be a toyota lc4 or similar.

Another alternative to throw in - I've recently become quite enthused about the idea of having VW Touareg V10 TDI. I do quite a bit of towing and 309bhp and 553 lb ft of torque sounds like it would be rather useful. Interesting, they are no more expensive than the 5 cylinder 2.5 TDI despite being better specced and giving away only 4mpg (24mpg versus 28mpg).

they like to chew tyres out in less than 10000miles and gearboxes are not cheep when the go and they do ! lol but they do go well !

thanks for the advice so far! yeah, I would image they would be pretty cheap to fix as there really are alot of them around, so cheap spare parts not a prob.

I agree Big J, the landcruiser and toureg have both caught my eye, especially toureg, they do look good, I could imagine chugging a trailer round nicely with one!

another thing about the navara is that you cant keep things in the back, so silch security. every time i go to a job i have to take all the tools round the back with me- im one paronoid android! with a Disco or the like, you can pop a couple of saws, climbing gear and hedge trimmers in the boot, shut it and then not have to worry about them as they are out of sight.