Refusing to cut down a tree

James91

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, you're asking a perfectly fair question - "is there a TPO on these trees"?

You could ask this question of several different people - TO, visit the council offices etc. but, however difficult it may be, I would ask it outright of your boss on Monday morning. I would do this because firstly it is the right person to start with in the line of responsibility, and secondly because it sends a message that you work by the rules, which is a good thing to do for the future. Think about it - if you go to the TO and establish there are no TPOs on these trees, do you tell your boss, which makes it look like you went behind his back, or do you keep quiet. If you keep quiet, what do you do next time you are asked, and the time after? If you establish that there are TPOs on these trees, how do you tell him without it looking like you went behind his back? Asking up front addresses the question much more effectively. It might go something like this:

"The yew trees you want me to fell, do you know whether they have TPOs on them?"

If he says "Yes", you can quite reasonably say "well the trees can't be felled then until we've spoken to the TO. Shall I call them?"

If he says "No", you can quite reasonably say "OK, when did you check, as they get updated so we need to be sure one hasn't been put on lately?" - if it's reasonably recent, proceed, if not, suggest a quick check.

If as you anticipate he says "I don't know", or "I haven't checked" you can quite reasonably say "OK, I'll give the TO a quick call and make sure before we start, shouldn't take long, I'll meet you up there".

All the above will progress, depending on the nature of the man. However, they all give you the initiative, and are fair, not challenging or accusatory, and polite.

FWIW, you appear to be being careful to avoid being disloyal to your boss or get him into trouble, but have established he doesn't always check things and want to avoid this causing trouble for yourself. I would be pleased to have someone like that working for me :001_smile: (only I don't work in arb!)

Alec

In my opinion, you're asking a perfectly fair question - "is there a TPO on these trees"?

You could ask this question of several different people - TO, visit the council offices etc. but, however difficult it may be, I would ask it outright of your boss on Monday morning. I would do this because firstly it is the right person to start with in the line of responsibility, and secondly because it sends a message that you work by the rules, which is a good thing to do for the future. Think about it - if you go to the TO and establish there are no TPOs on these trees, do you tell your boss, which makes it look like you went behind his back, or do you keep quiet. If you keep quiet, what do you do next time you are asked, and the time after? If you establish that there are TPOs on these trees, how do you tell him without it looking like you went behind his back? Asking up front addresses the question much more effectively. It might go something like this:

"The yew trees you want me to fell, do you know whether they have TPOs on them?"

If he says "Yes", you can quite reasonably say "well the trees can't be felled then until we've spoken to the TO. Shall I call them?"

If he says "No", you can quite reasonably say "OK, when did you check, as they get updated so we need to be sure one hasn't been put on lately?" - if it's reasonably recent, proceed, if not, suggest a quick check.

If as you anticipate he says "I don't know", or "I haven't checked" you can quite reasonably say "OK, I'll give the TO a quick call and make sure before we start, shouldn't take long, I'll meet you up there".

All the above will progress, depending on the nature of the man. However, they all give you the initiative, and are fair, not challenging or accusatory, and polite.

FWIW, you appear to be being careful to avoid being disloyal to your boss or get him into trouble, but have established he doesn't always check things and want to avoid this causing trouble for yourself. I would be pleased to have someone like that working for me :001_smile: (only I don't work in arb!)

Alec

Thank you Alec! That is probably the best thing I can do, thanks.

You've summarised exactly how I feel, I don't want to upset anyone, get anyone in trouble, and equally I don't want it on my head if he hasn't done something he should have.

I work in soa a fair bit and there are certainly conservation area issues around the town centre and the surrounding villages/estates etc because of the literary history. I have refused to work on trees in the area because I've been uncomfortable about not seeing the correct paperwork and I have been right in the past to take this stance. Hope this helps

At worst he can have a mental at you for asking. He could go up his chain and say that you are trying to refuse doing work or something along those lines. But after the people above have seen that ou are being RESPONSIBLE in your work I'm sure it will be fine.

They may get the kickback from felling a tpo tree but it will be you who will be after a reference when ou go looking for another job in the future. So I would check every angle before you start that saw.

If it sounds dodgy or too good to be true it probably is.

Check with la. If there are no restrictions do the job. Someone else will do it if you don't and you may get asked to leave by your boss.

Well done for having a consciousness.

If you feel so bad send pics to la, to see if they can put tpos on them. That is of there is time.

Have worked for these type of people before,their usual attitude is"well if you dont like it you know what you can do".my response is normally "well I dont like it what are YOU going to do! .Dont be bullied or intimidated by these people there is ALWAYS ANOTHER job if you are good at what you do.:biggrin: