log burner not producing much heat?

The "proper tests" I referred to were nothing more scientific than taking various temperature readings in different locations with and without the ecofan in use. It's fair to say that almost everyone who has one seems to think they're great, and generally the ones who say they're rubbish or "can't possibly work" don't have one!

The design has changed a bit fairly recently - the new models have slightly increased air movement too.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think someone mentioned it a little earlier and I've heard this problem before; was it a qualified installer who fitted the stove? If not check the throatplate in the flue is the correct way round...in upside down will cause the problems you're having! That said if the logs you have (especially oak) it needs to be quite slim other wise it'll not burn...remeber the key components for fire - fuel, oxygen and heat, remove one of those components and you'll be cold!

We burn oak and larch with a mix of coal too. Sadly we don't have a boiler but that'll be coming in the summer...good luck!!

Still not having any luck with my log burner. I have fitted a thermometer to the flu and I have it between 300 and 400. I think the burner is sat to far into the wall and my heat is going straight up the chimney, there's a gap of 5 or 10mm between the flu and register plate which I will have to fill.

Still not having any luck with my log burner. I have fitted a thermometer to the flu and I have it between 300 and 400. I think the burner is sat to far into the wall and my heat is going straight up the chimney, there's a gap of 5 or 10mm between the flu and register plate which I will have to fill.

If that is centigrade then yes you are sending far too much heat up the flue.

One reason may be too much air (probably secondary)

your fire looks ok same as mine. mine has not been producing that much heat. i started to split mine smaller so instead of in 4,s 8ths and mixing birch ash,oak and beech. also as other post using just a small mount of coal to get going so i have a base then wood once its hot put on bigger logs. but also no wind so job to get it to draw when a bit of wind they draw better. also is your fire cement around your stack into fire ok mine is a bit loose so need to repack to stop air being drawn in through gap between stove and flue pipe. just read your post more thats not going to help having a gap between flue and plate will cause a drawback so damping down air to fire. if you are getting 400c on your flue its producing heat. open doors let the heat out into room when going.

just because its a log burner you can still have doors open. find get a lot of heat in room when open then shut up as a ambient heat. but i am thinking it comes down to stoves. want to get a new one eg charnwood 8kw. newer ones seem to produce heat better. and stay in mine never is in all night have to get it going in morning. there is a chart you can get you work out your floorspace in your house and it lets you know what stove will work best. maybe yours is a bit small and heat is going around house so you think its not producing much when it may be working fine but loosing it around the house.

Edited by hedgesparrow

Definitely seal the gap around the register plate and if there is air space around the flue above the plate insulate as well . From the picture there seems to me, to be not enough Clarence around the stove and it is set in a bit far . I know this is dictated by the position of the outlet lining up with the flue but I think they radiate better with more air around them . May be you could do something about the brick work ?

Would certainly help if you could bring if forward a tadge, remember you need 300mm of non combustable hearth in front of it though. Easy to do so, the flue doesn't have to go vertical (although ideally) so 2x30' pipes might allow you to bring it forward. Sounds like your register plate hasn't been finalised yet anyway so even easier? Have you definately got plenty of air coming into the room?

meter the logs and make sure they are around 20% in the middle otherwise you need the stove flat out to burn them otherwise it goes out. With proper dry logs you can shut the stove down but not slumber the heat should pour out into the room. Any gaps around the liner will empty the room of any heat you create. If you get the chance to look down your chimney when its out but the central heating is on it will shock you how much heat is drawn up the chimney its like a hair drier.