a few chopping boards

delabodge

Hi Alec, Ive got a dw733 too, and your right there great, brought mine factory reconditioned and it was a bargain. made a simple jig so i can sharpen my blades my self, as i was never happy with the quality of sharpening at my local shop, and the amount of material they removed. Jig is easy to make and i get my blades super sharp now. Only send them off for grinding if i take a big lump out of them. Not sure how the jig would work on 24" blades but i guess if your wet and dry was long enough its possible. Let me now if your interested and ill send you a video link. Clive, do you choose to cut your boards out on a bandsaw or router with template. Thanks

James

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi James,

Video link would be good.

I'm happy with the quality of sharpening from my local shop, but there was one point where I was running full thickness elm boards through all day and the knives were needing sharpening on a daily basis! Elm is really hard on them. It would be useful, and quicker, to do it myself then.

Alec

Heres the link. The guys a bit more safety conscious than me, but good at what he does. I set my table saw at 42degrees for the cuts and it works well.Then i buy good quality wet and dry in rolls and stick it in strips to some plate glass i use 6 grades upto 600grit and those blades come out super sharp. I now keep my blades sharper than when i had to send off.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIBKp9_hWLo]Planer knife honing jig - YouTube[/ame]

Cheers

James

• 2 months later...

For doing the job by hand, one tool I would recommend looking out for is a scrub plane. It's purely manual, but like side axes or adzes, it's one of those hand tools which actually does a better, faster job than any power tool I've come across. You can either leave the surface it creates 'as is' or quickly dress it off with a jointer plane (hand or electric) before sanding.

Alec

Another vote for the scrub plane here. Mine is a car-boot stanley No.4 that I have converted by grinding the blade to a shallow curve. With a sharp blade you can finish wide boards easily, and the finish from the plane is attractive. Going across the grain you get a scalloped effect.

nick, my robinson planer,,is the business and saves me endless hours,,if I was making a few I MIGHT agree,,,but as they come off the machine flat and pretty clean with little sanding,,then,,jobs a good en,,,,,:001_tt2:

Treemoose,,,looks spot on to me,,,,just as good as mine,,,well done,,,:thumbup: