To go for it or not to go for it!

AlGibson82

So at the moment I run a landscaping company and within that we undertake tree work, I have a climber who I use and I work the ground (eventually want to be climbing myself, I have cs30/31/38) but my problem when advertising is do I advertise landscaping and tree work together or advertise them as 2 separate companies? I only ask cause I think (and this is only my thought) that people will see it as a bit of a jack of all trades? I want to push the tree side of the company more. Thanks for you advice

So at the moment I run a landscaping company and within that we undertake tree work, I have a climber who I use and I work the ground (eventually want to be climbing myself, I have cs30/31/38) but my problem when advertising is do I advertise landscaping and tree work together or advertise them as 2 separate companies? I only ask cause I think (and this is only my thought) that people will see it as a bit of a jack of all trades? I want to push the tree side of the company more. Thanks for you advice

naaaaaaaaaa, stick to landscaping thers no money in tree work @ the mo :001_tongue:

I'd stick to landscaping if I was you. The operating costs are much lower than running a tree business, which means the profit margin is higher.

Doing domestic tree work you need to do several quotes a week plus all associated paper work, emails, phone calls, TPO apps etc.

One landscaping quote can bring a three month job.

Why expose yourself to the hassle and financial risk.

I wish I'd been a landscaper.

My advice is to definitely diversify further, I did and it worked extremely well. I have doubled my profits in the last year by not turning away work to others and doing the tree works on all my clients properties myself. Many are on going work on 3 year cycles with Willows etc so it works well along maintenance jobs. On a few properties I have started with border clean outs, manuring then planting then some hard landscaping and tree refurbs and removals. Of course new work through word of mouth has come off the back of this too and new work via the website (although i need to sit down and rebuild my website this winter)

In the times we live in it makes perfect sense to have as many strings to your bow as possible. :thumbup1:

As to advertising, whilst I haven't needed to do any for the last 18 months - apart from my website / fb, I would offer it as a total service under one company, this way you can make the most of promoting all your services to new potential clients. :001_smile: