Ratting

Pat Ferrett

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi just had a rat infestation my self on the farm and had a few nights with the air rifle with limited results,untill i dicovered nuttella spread thinned down with cooking oil and poured on to some small sheets of ply worked a treat as the rats had to lap the fluid up so giving time for a clear shot,we where allso putting bait down with no effect (40 tonne of barley in shed next to log shed) so i decided to pour the nuttella over the bait and after 3 days every bait station was getting cleaned out every night for about 12-14 days bait not moving so fast at the moment but not as many rats either keep finding dead ones all around the farm, give the nuttella a go you wont be disapointed, take about 3 spoon full out of the jar warm nuttella till runny and add cooking oil let it cool and it shoud be the consistancy of paint, good luck,

hi just had a rat infestation my self on the farm and had a few nights with the air rifle with limited results,untill i dicovered nuttella spread thinned down with cooking oil and poured on to some small sheets of ply worked a treat as the rats had to lap the fluid up so giving time for a clear shot,we where allso putting bait down with no effect (40 tonne of barley in shed next to log shed) so i decided to pour the nuttella over the bait and after 3 days every bait station was getting cleaned out every night for about 12-14 days bait not moving so fast at the moment but not as many rats either keep finding dead ones all around the farm, give the nuttella a go you wont be disapointed, take about 3 spoon full out of the jar warm nuttella till runny and add cooking oil let it cool and it shoud be the consistancy of paint, good luck,

Just curious, does the nuttella and cooking oil act as a type of poison:confused1:

easy-lift guy

had lots of good fun ratting my jack Russell is a good ratter they can get very fast at killing them and moving on to the next have a piece of alkathene pipe with you very handy for thrashing rats with.

nuttella mixed with cooking oil works well and so does peanut butter as a bait to lure them to shoot them don’t use anything they can pick up and run off with you wont get time for a shot .

great fun with a air rifle head shots are all ways best for clean kills don’t have any trouble using a scope but wont get long to take your shots as said red filters work well when lamping or if you have an old sony camcorder laying round you could make yourself up a night vision sight :wink:

A chicken farm we used to shoot on had a big rat problem

The guy who ran the shoot built a big bonfire in one of the free range pens, left it for a couple of months.

When we lit it, there must have been 150/200 rats come streaming out.

The dogs loved it.

One of my Cockers got bitten on the nose, left a scar, but no ill effects.

She'll be quicker to kill next time

Not had a rat problem since had current cats :001_smile: Rats used to live in the dry stone walls & go eat the hen food from the feed hoppers.

They seem to have killed all rats & since then none have returned, they only seem to catch rabbits & mice & birds now not had as rat body brought in house for ages :001_rolleyes:

Neighbour has a rabbit problem eating stuff in garden but ive never see live rabbits near house since the cats are here only a few hares. Maybe they are to big for cats to eat?

One of my Cockers got bitten on the nose, left a scar, but no ill effects.

She'll be quicker to kill next time

Took the words out of my mouth, they soon learn to be quicker if they get bitten. The more men and dogs you can muster the better.

I was once told, one of the best ways to control Rats is to catch 3 or 4 and put them in a barrel so they can't escape, don't feed them, what will eventually happen is they will get hungry and start eating each other until you have one left.. Then place another couple of rats in the barrel, and repeat the process. You'll supposedly end up with a Killer Cannibal Rat that you then release and hey presto it'll kill the other rats!!!! I have my doubts, plus it's illegal to release vermin once they've been trapped...!!!!