Ratting

Pat Ferrett

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance of abit more info on how to do this please either from yourself or any other members that have done it please.

hi sony camcorders ( not sure of other makes ) have a thing called nightshot on then so with an infra red light source you film in the dark you can attach it to the back of the scope and use it for shooting

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXoNX0aekA4]How to fit your video camera to your scope for shooting.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

cheap set up for rat shooting ranges and a little further and you can film the fun :001_smile:

Any chance of abit more info on how to do this please either from yourself or any other members that have done it please.

Have a look on Pigeon Watch - Pigeon Shooting and UK Country Sports Website and have a look in the DIY section I think or just search night vision. There's a guy that made his own and put up a detailed thread about it I think

Rats I hate the things im not scared of them they are just so destructive and carry weils disease I keep chickens and they do move in close to our sheds its a real pain so need tpo be kept in check.I have tried most methods ferrets useless in my opinion unless you get a good one which will get them out.We have smoked them out before now but they dissapear to ground as quick as they come out unless you have a pack of dogs that are quick of the mark I know they say terriers are good ratters my my german shepherds do just as well infact my bitch is extremly quick on them and not only shoves her nose down the hole can dig the things out and between the both can shift some soil .

Rats are clever as the pre plan everything they do but at the same time are real stupid they get too confident and think you cant see them in the dark but a monocular and a air rifle with a night sight soon catches them out their hearing is extremly sensistive so bear that in mind when your ratting.If you are using dogs would recomend getting your vaccinated against leptospirosis as it is not included in your dogs regular vaccines and boosters unless requested also if your using poisen dont use dogs due to secondry poisening would hate to hear of anyones dogs getting ill

we used to have an old chainsaw with no blade and a pipe off the exhaust which was long enough to get to ground level when holding in a standing position and running the machine on a rich oil mix smoked the rats out to the dogs.

Does this work with moles? They can be a bit crafty when it comes to traps. I have had more success flushing them out with the hosepipe (after sticking a spade in the 'old' side of the run).