• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Read what I said at the end of my first POST

I have, here it is

Get a battery and put black on - THEN test others on+ and wire in to plug. Look at bulb end to find out colours?

That says put a wire on the neg then put the others to live, then have a look at where the wires go.

So back to the non standard/standard wiring thing...why do you assume black is the earth?

Look first, "suck it and see" second

After 30 years rewiring lights on trucks, tractors and trailers. Most old trucks and tractors are black earth which is automotive standard colour. But trailor sockets through a spanner up the works by makeing it white so it's my guest it may be black as that is what I have found in the past. But in a imported light bourd I have found Brown used as earth wire.

After 30 years rewiring lights on trucks, tractors and trailers. Most old trucks and tractors are black earth which is automotive standard colour. But trailor sockets through a spanner up the works by makeing it white so it's my guest it may be black as that is what I have found in the past. But in a imported light bourd I have found Brown used as earth wire.

Indeded, on a vehicle you would be correct Black is the standard colour for earth but this is a 7 pin plug on a trailer and the standard colour for earth in that system is White.

The only way to know is to look at the lamps before doing suck it and see.

Yes check at lens/ bulb. But they some times use pre-wired lamps with more diffrent colours and splice them together in side the board so still not easy. The only way to find out what wire dos what is if you have a volt meter/ circuit test is set on buzz and test wires from end to end.

there is no such thing as a astandard earth in the automotive trade, blak, brown, white, combinations of others have all been used by various manufacturers, the simplest way to do it is, go to the light, remove the cover, temporaly fit a wire from the earth side to the battery neg, go to the other end of your wire(the end you want to fit the plug to)and touch it to the pos on the battery, by a proccess of elimanation you will identify each wire to its corresponding light, a quicker way is to simply go and buy a new length of 7 core and completly rewire the lights

there is no such thing as a astandard earth in the automotive trade, blak, brown, white, combinations of others have all been used by various manufacturers, the simplest way to do it is, go to the light, remove the cover, temporaly fit a wire from the earth side to the battery neg, go to the other end of your wire(the end you want to fit the plug to)and touch it to the pos on the battery, by a proccess of elimanation you will identify each wire to its corresponding light, a quicker way is to simply go and buy a new length of 7 core and completly rewire the lights

Its not a vehicle its a trailer and the standard wiring for trailers is called12N and 12S with the N standard for mandatory lights required under construction and use regulations and the S standard for those who like to drag a chicken shed on wheels (caravan)