Lolering your own gear

mikecotterill

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I think this is where we're up to, yes it's ok to Loler your own gear, providing you are or could prove in the event of an accident, that you are/were impartial when carrying out the checks.

So the next question is who is capable of doing a Loler inspection? It's been highlighted by this thread that the only recommendations of the hse are that a "competent person" must carry out the checks. I've read somewhere, possibly in this thread, that to do a Loler course 5 years experience is needed? So opinions on this please....

Hi Mike

I think the experience period is a reqiurement of the training organisation or examining body. I am pretty sure the 5 years was the condition period for the NPTC course.

I am pretty sure there is nothing in the legislation requiring a specific period, it simply wont get into that kind of detail.

To maintain impartiality and keep costs down.....

Would you trust another tree surgeon in your area to check your gear - and you check his?

That would introduce some impartiality though there can always be accusations of 'rigging' (pardon the pun) -as long as you are both experienced/accomplished climbers and willing to stand by your assessments in the event of an accident.Possibly an expedient solution.

I've been told by my LOLER inspector that the training course highlights a lot of issues that simply wouldn't be apparent to the average climber, regardless of experience. After doing the course, he came home and threw away pieces of kit that had previously been considered OK.

I'm thinking of doing the LOLER inspection course and cheking my own kit, which gets used by myself and another employee.

I think if you can show that items of kit are being retired from use it would help your case, but personally I think lack of training, regardless of experience in terms of "time served", is going to be used against you in court.

It's frustrating that the legislation isn't more specific.

Edited by Perkins

I've been told by my LOLER inspector that the training course highlights a lot of issues that simply wouldn't be apparent to the average climber, regardless of experience. After doing the course, he came home and threw away pieces of kit that had previously been considered OK.

This is the information I'm looking for, wether or not anybody can inspect gear. Is it necessary to go on a Loler course?