Timberwolf 150 pros/cons

JN Tree Care

You're right Dan, there are some great bigger chippers at reasonable prices but..I have had a bigger chipper and there is the issues of moving them around by hand and towing behind a Transit size vehicle. (weight wise)

I know what you mean but a bit of heaving and grunting to get it on the truck is ok when you have less heaving to feed the chipper if you get me?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean but a bit of heaving and grunting to get it on the truck is ok when you have less heaving to feed the chipper if you get me?

'course, but imagine an average tree surgeons week. 3 reductions 3 hedges and 2 medium take downs, 8ins is overkill. A 6in TW is the perfect compromise, will outperform most groundys ie he is not constantly waiting for it, and will sit on the back of the tranny without too much gear and clutch abuse.

Edited by Le Sanglier

'course, but imagine an average tree surgeons week. 3 reductions 3 hedges and 2 medium take downs, 8ins is overkill. A 6in TW is the perfect compromise, will outperform most groundys ie he is not constantly waiting for it, and will sit on the back of the tranny/cabstar without blowing the gross train weight out of the water.

Fair enough, still wouldn't be my weapon of choice though:001_tongue:

I had an old entec 6 inch chipper for 6 years.

It was the flywheel bearings which let it down. Having said that it was small, easy to push around and overall I loved it.

I only sold it when I upgraded to an almost new greenmech.

Since then, in two and a half years I have only had the chipper block up on me once and that was cordyline.

Whatever they say about blade life on TWs I found they needed replacing after 8 hours. Yes you can run it for 15 but the edge is U shaped by then and you only get two re-sharpenings before the blade is below the limit for grinding.

I can see why they are popular machines but I'd say once youve had a 'better' machine you would not want to go back to a TW.

Being the most popular doesn't necessarily mean the best - but its not a bad place to start. I just couldn't face another flywheel bearing change -remember, when your chipper fails its usually when you have a ton of brushwood out in the road surrounded by traffic cones - then what?

We are all constrained by budget - but within that we need to aim for reliability.

If you are in the market for a new tw you really should also consider the new Greenmech 150 - basically the same size/shape/weight/cost of the tw150, but with a lot of clever modern design included. Most importantly from a user point of view is the feed is 6x9 inch letterbox - massively better than a square hole to feed brash into. The tw150 is a good all round machine but has its week points which unfortunately have never been addressed over its now very long service life.

tw 150 has served us well

Just a thought

rather than put everything through, try saving anything bigger than 3-4 inches for log timber. It will find a home and may make you some cash.

Bigger machines usually mean everything gets chipped.

Also bear in mind the tw150 is pushable around site by hand- usually.

If you are in the market for a new tw you really should also consider the new Greenmech 150 - basically the same size/shape/weight/cost of the tw150, but with a lot of clever modern design included. Most importantly from a user point of view is the feed is 6x9 inch letterbox - massively better than a square hole to feed brash into. The tw150 is a good all round machine but has its week points which unfortunately have never been addressed over its now very long service life.

I can definately second that!

I had an old entec 6 inch chipper for 6 years.

It was the flywheel bearings which let it down. Having said that it was small, easy to push around and overall I loved it.

I only sold it when I upgraded to an almost new greenmech.

Since then, in two and a half years I have only had the chipper block up on me once and that was cordyline.

Whatever they say about blade life on TWs I found they needed replacing after 8 hours. Yes you can run it for 15 but the edge is U shaped by then and you only get two re-sharpenings before the blade is below the limit for grinding.

I can see why they are popular machines but I'd say once youve had a 'better' machine you would not want to go back to a TW.

Being the most popular doesn't necessarily mean the best - but its not a bad place to start. I just couldn't face another flywheel bearing change -remember, when your chipper fails its usually when you have a ton of brushwood out in the road surrounded by traffic cones - then what?

We are all constrained by budget - but within that we need to aim for reliability.

Who's sharpening your blades? Stevie Wonder?

:001_tongue: