A bit scared......

blades

I seem to be stihl. Would like to try husky but all that lands on my bench are stihl. I like the stihl due to less involved than the husky ECU type things. But then I've only ever worked on one husky a few years ago. And that was the first piston I ever fitted to a saw. Havnt seen one since.

Worked on Mikita. Ryobi. Dolmer and echo. Don't think there are many around me that own husky. But I'm sure that will change at some point.

I have no personal preference when using a saw for cutting. If it cuts timber and runs then I use it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

husky most of the time, tried stihl but never seemed to be as good (on power and general handling) I think at top level its down to personal preference they both do good machines that do the job. but i am sticking with husky i like the way they "used" to make them, still on the fence with the two top handle saws (I say the "two" because mainly or the majority use Stihl 200T or Husqvarna 336T) maybe we need a pole of ALL saws!

I have a mixture of both. We all like all of them for various work.

I'd buy either brand on recommendation of my local - and highly tusted - dealer.

For the record we have Stihl MS200 (x2), 017, 260, 044, 076 Husky 353, 262, 365,

3120 (x2)

They can all (even the 017) take abuse all day long and we can get any spares we need.

If they are well maintained they never fail on the job.

Never tried other brands - would take some persuading.

Reliability and quality come at a price that I am willing to pay.

I've worked for a German firm for 30 years (day job) an it has put me off anything Germanic, we have had the family DNA tested and in the dark ages, our ancestors came down from the Nordics, in to central Europe and up in to Britain.

I kinda like that thought and feel strangely drawn to the Orange and silver saws - Oh, they sound much better as well.

I do like the MS200T though, great saw!

The first thing I bought was an Alaskan mill. The side chain tensioner on the Stihl made it easier to use, so I bought an 064. Other progressively larger saws have also been for milling, so have also been Stihl. By the time I went looking for something smaller I already knew the Stihl range so it was easier to stick with it.

I do have a Danarm and a Teles too though.

Alec

Anyone who sticks to one brand without at least trying another is a bit short sighted/ ignorant.

I've used both ms260 and 346xp extensively and prefer the husky.

200t goes without saying - but that could all change come february (ish)

you cant go wrong with any of the larger saws that they both offer, they're all bloody good i would say! (but you can't beat the husky tickover sound :) )

I've always owned Husky (or Jonsered) but have tried a few of the stihls (024, 026/260, 440, 441, 066/660 and 880) and on the whole I prefer the Husky saws over the equivalnt sized stihl; the exception being the 066, which I do get on well with. 088 or 3120 I'm not really fussed but don't use either with much regularity.

Out in the woods, I like the way the Huskies handle and I like the way the power is delivered, much more responsive and almost agressive. On arb jobs I'd be less fussy but generally the saws on site are usually mostly Huskies, whosever they are.

I have been looking at the tiny echo, the stihl ms150 and also the 90cc makita/dolmar so I'm not tunnel visioned enough to think there's nothing better.

Thinking about it, before the 550 was launched I would have about taken anything to not have had to go ms 261 or 346xp :001_smile: It's not that they might be bad saws, I just wanted something better.

I am happy to use both. I prefer the build quality of Stihl saws but believe Husqvarna saws have lower vibration. Husqvarna saws tend to have better acceleration and Stihls more torque (but this distinction may be a bit more blurred now). As long as you maintain a sharp chain then both makes perform adequately as do (Johnsered, Echo, Dolmar, Makita etc.)

I use a makita mainly, for my logging work, But have just bought my dad a small husqy. Have used used various bits of stihl kit, but just carnt seem to get on with it, although i do have a Stihl power washer. But as someone previously said, mcculloch used to be a top notch saw, and being honest i have a 335 that despite being used and abused still comes to life when cutting up rough timber on site.