Am I mad buying a new telehandler

gensetsteve

We are a foot deep in mud are you thinking they are only as capable as a buggyscopic. A buggyscopic would be a waste of time here. our 4x4 525 has no problems got me thinking now

If it was me and I owned the ground (not sure of your situation) then I'd put the money I would spend on a new handler to cope with the mud into sorting out the mud, putting some hardcore down, and then a decent cap and roll it tight. To my mind that would increase production and profitability much more than a bigger machine to cope with the mud. I hate the stuff!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tip I did not realise JCB had an auction. I own the land but am planning to sell for devolopment within 4 years so will be on the move. I will need a surface that is really hard as I use a bobcat alot and it tears everything to bits. I am going to go with rowans idea of concrete sleepers as I can move them or take them with me. I have heard alot of moans about the small teles and a 526with 4 wheel steer is more manouverable than our mid 80's 525 also we do push the limits on lift cap regularly with the generators ( we dont wear the rear tyres out :001_smile:) I am thinking late 90's low hrs mint condition for about 11k

our john deere 3215 is 5 yrs old with 5000hrs on clock.. used to change it every 3 yrs max as only cost around 15k to swap each time.... 2 yrs ago it was gonna cost nearly 25k to swap as new ones gone up so much... machine similar spec to ours is over 50k now when 2 yrs ago they were 35k..

we bought a 2nd hand 1994 machine for £7000 this yr instead to even workload out...

we wont be buying new again and same goes for tractors..

you just cant do enough work in a season to warrant a new one..

2 or even 3 [in case of our tractors] good 2nd hand ones far more usefull

I hear you Nick - I am totally the opposite.... !

Bought a secondhand rough terrain Manitou for £5,500-00.

Spent a horrible year and £8-000-00 on it (incrementally).

Sold in disgust for £6-000-00 at end of that year and vowed never secondhand again.

Secondhand is great when it works and you have no problems but I just could not handle the cost and worse was the down time..... :sneaky2:

Oh - and I got a new Buggyscopic in the end....

It's great for me but I would have got a bigger one - except I needed something to drive in and out of polytunnels.

Also it's got a big lift for it's size and width of machine so you have to be a lot more careful of turning it over.

It also gets stuck in deep mud.... overall was it worth it? Dunno really - I've had one hydraulic pipe come off in 2 1/2 years and x2 punctures - always starts, always works - so in that respect all good... but a lot of money and am still paying for it although I got a grant towards it.

I really couldn't think of a job where at some point a handler would not be usefull. Even in a yard with a loading bucket on or a 4 in 1 bucket.

Best thing I like is unloading an arctic everything from one side especially on single track roads saves turning round. And my planning is not the best so can grab a bulk bag 6 rows back. Replace that light on the corner of the building. If your going to spend good money on a forklift may as well spring a bit more and have a tele. :thumbup:

Best thing I like is unloading an arctic everything from one side especially on single track roads saves turning round. And my planning is not the best so can grab a bulk bag 6 rows back. Replace that light on the corner of the building. If your going to spend good money on a forklift may as well spring a bit more and have a tele. :thumbup:

Too true. May as well try and go all out with the biggest boom you can get and front jacks.

They have to be the most versatile tool out there. Fork extensions are also a good idea aswell.

If your really good you can use the front jacks to move the forks in and out if they are not auto adjusting aswell :thumbup: