Am I mad buying a new telehandler

gensetsteve

I have just sold all my logging kit but need a decent telehandler. Everything we have seems to be used and u have to cope with the short commings. Our current telehandler the seats always wet and cab steamed up lights dont work things are leaking oil. Its permanently on the go some days and I fancy something like a jcb 527-50 or manitou 526 a compact machine. If we had it 10 years it would probably still be unmarked. who has spent 30k and regretted it and who has spent 30k and glad they bought new. I keep tracking little jcb's down for 24k with 2000 hrs on the clock and they look trashed.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If dont intend running it up the road or doing lots of towing with it buy a plant spec machine rather than Agri spec as there is a huge difference in price. The farm models generally have high speed gearbox, soft ride hydraulics and pick up hitches. If you can find a basic plant version that isn't specced with these you generally get a much newer machine for your money.

Good advice never occured to me it would hold its money I just assumed it would drop 10k once it had got muddy then I would spread the drop over 10 years. I never gave a thought to road use or towing I tried to insure our current one with NFU 10 years ago and it was £1100 a year road use and £1100 to insure while lifting. I did hear coop would do it for £60 a year but never got that far. It would be useful to take onsite occasionally and as they only weigh 3500kg you would not need a huge lorry.

I think there may be a tax advantage in buying a new vehicle as opposed to used, please don't quote me on this I've never really looked into it because I've never had the funds to buy new. A builder I know however always buys vehicles new, then makes use of the fact that the allowance for capital depreciation is actually greater than the true depreciation when looking at market value....Any accountants online?

I think there may be a tax advantage in buying a new vehicle as opposed to used, please don't quote me on this I've never really looked into it because I've never had the funds to buy new. A builder I know however always buys vehicles new, then makes use of the fact that the allowance for capital depreciation is actually greater than the true depreciation when looking at market value....Any accountants online?

I think they changed the rules back recently from 100% depreciation to 50%. I dont think there is any difference between new and used but I may easily be completely wrong. If you replace kit every year its more tax efficent but heavier on depreciation. Also if the allowance is higher in the first year and you dont have a good year your tax will be at 25% rather than 50% so sometimes it pays to spread it over a few years.

Those little 520's are good machines if its hard going on the ground. I hire them for carrying security fence panels around sites and they struggle a bit if its hilly or soft. But if you want a yard loader they are good tools.

Manitou do the buggiscopic range which would be similar.

We are a foot deep in mud are you thinking they are only as capable as a buggyscopic. A buggyscopic would be a waste of time here. our 4x4 525 has no problems got me thinking now

It's not that they aren't capable it's just they don't really have massive ground clearance or lots of power so your find your in bottom gear when you are carrying a load in mud or up any incline and carry no momentum to get though. A old 520 or 525 with 2 or 4 wd will run rings round those that you pictured.