What if money didnt matter

Ian Flatters

I love this kind of stuff, breaking the cycle of generations.

A young man meets a young lady, after a few dates, the young lady invites him over for sunday dinner.:001_smile:

The dinner appears and it's a lovely big roast, he eats it and the young lady asks how it was? The guy says it was unbelievable, best ever, but why did you cut both ends of that beautiful big roast before serving?:confused1:

Aha, says the girl, that's the family secret, makes it extra special.

2 weeks later, the guy is invited to meet the mother in law to be hopefully, once again, the Sunday roast appears, same as before, both ends cut off, man says nothing and tucks in.

After the eager mum asks how it was, unbelievable, he says, best meal ever, but may I ask, why did you cut the ends off the roast?

Aha, says the mum, winking and tapping her nose, that's the family secret.

Another 2 weeks pass, now it's grannies for Sunday roast.

Out comes the lump of meat, but all intact!

He tucks in and once again, granny ask, how was it?

Fantastic he said, beautiful, better than ANY meal he has ever had, but may I ask, why didn't you cut both ends off the Roast? What about the family secret?

The granny looks puzzled and says, I haven't needed to do that since 1963, that's when I got the bigger oven!!:biggrin:

I like it made me chuckle.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Ian that was very interesting as I have 3 boys I wouldn't want them to do any job they did not love as I have found my dream job in arb . I let my boys have their own ideas and support them with what they want to do they do share interests but only because they are into them . Oakley my oldest wants to be a zoo keeper Harley the second oldest loves wing chun and ollie loves tree surgery I come home most days and he has made something new into a harness he robs old hard hats and gloves and has loads of arbtruks lol

Great video Ian. Thank you.

I have long stated my grievances about the school system I was in. As I was academically clever in high school, I was groomed into thinking I had to go on to sixth form, then university, then a great career in science etc etc. Never at any point did the careers adviser or teachers mention anything other than sixth form and uni.

I did one year of sixth form studying physics, maths, ict and psychology. Came out with three U's and an E as I spent the whole year lost, no idea what was the point in it all, but with no other option. That was the only option that had been drilled into me, anything else was considered a failure.

I then spent 5 years doing dead end jobs, still no direction in life until I realised my love of trees. That's the greatest moment in my life to date, realising that I could do something worthwhile that I enjoy, regardless of money.

I even went to enroll on a carpentry course at college so I could eventually end up making furniture... but they told me No, because I was over qualified. They told me to go onto an art and design course instead. Did half a year of drawing, pottery and sticking bit of cardboard together with pva glue. I quit and was lost again.

If the teachers/careers advisers took a little time to find out who I was, not what academic subjects I was good at, I might have found my dream job a bit earlier.

Great video Ian. Thank you.

I have long stated my grievances about the school system I was in. As I was academically clever in high school, I was groomed into thinking I had to go on to sixth form, then university, then a great career in science etc etc. Never at any point did the careers adviser or teachers mention anything other than sixth form and uni.

I did one year of sixth form studying physics, maths, ict and psychology. Came out with three U's and an E as I spent the whole year lost, no idea what was the point in it all, but with no other option. That was the only option that had been drilled into me, anything else was considered a failure.

I then spent 5 years doing dead end jobs, still no direction in life until I realised my love of trees. That's the greatest moment in my life to date, realising that I could do something worthwhile that I enjoy, regardless of money.

I even went to enroll on a carpentry course at college so I could eventually end up making furniture... but they told me No, because I was over qualified. They told me to go onto an art and design course instead. Did half a year of drawing, pottery and sticking bit of cardboard together with pva glue. I quit and was lost again.

If the teachers/careers advisers took a little time to find out who I was, not what academic subjects I was good at, I might have found my dream job a bit earlier.

Can't believe how familiar this sounds!

I too was academically clever in school, forced (i felt) to go to college, did maths, computing, physics and geography and failed em all.... spent 7 years going from one job to the next (never unemployed mind) with the longest time spent running nightclubs and pubs, then got a job in the NHS as i was getting married and felt i needed to contribute with money..! That was the straw that broke the camels back though, i realised i wanted to be outside, started my own landscaping company and got into trees from there, and have never looked back. Even though i've earned more in the past i've never been happier:biggrin:

If money didn't matter then who would choose to do the necessary 'crap' jobs such as drain clearing/sewer fat removal or share dealing/banking. But as advice to your own children I think it takes a lot of beating. It allows them to grow as individuals then I guess character will provide.

Something quite satisfying and fascinating about unblocking drains etc !

hat coat (I know im strange) bye............................... :) :)

Great post Ian :thumbup1:

I find we model the society we live in, I also feel we that our children are also modelled upon what we believe to be right! What we believe to be true! What we believe we want them to be!

Alex asked me a question the other day, "Adam can we get maisy's ears peirced" I said no? Why? Not because I don't want her to have it done I just think that I want her to choose! I want her to be the one who asks the questions! I want her to be the one who makes the decision to do what she wants to do!.

I was never pushed to do things as a child, a teenager, an adult, I was given the chance to choose, and this is how I want to see maisy grow up!.

What do I want? I just want to be happy! :001_smile:

Hi all, if money didn't matter i would spend all day pissing about in my woods, nothing i enjoy more than felling my trees and clearing up, hard work but enjoyable, wont pay the bills though. I suppose being a furniture maker is about as enjoyable as my work gets, it just about payes the bills but always under pressure to get jobs done by the end of the month to get some money in. I always tell my kids to get a proper job that payes well, atleast a regular wage takes the pressure of a bit, or better still marry a millionaire. If i did not have kids or wife then i would live in a bus in the woods and just take life as it comes with no pressures. Having enough money to pay the bills takes the edge of the enjoyment side of life, so saying sod it i'm going to do what i enjoy is a privalige that so few of us can have.