Hitch Hiker thread.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what is going on with 50% of that photo?

Me neither. The right foot gubbins looks really uncomfortable, what with that karabiner choked against the top of your foot. What's the idea of the croll? Do you really need adjustment here? Wouldn't a fixed length foot loop or daisy chain be better here?

Me neither. The right foot gubbins looks really uncomfortable, what with that karabiner choked against the top of your foot. What's the idea of the croll? Do you really need adjustment here? Wouldn't a fixed length foot loop or daisy chain be better here?

Yes the lanyard as a footloop was painful but its just an experiment. A guy on Treehouse mentioned it.

There is no Croll in my photo.

Fixed footloop or daisy chain is better but I'm trying alternatives. Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

Perfectly true but I don't use a frogwalker system and I'm trying to keep components to a minimum.

Have you tried swapping the lanyard to the bottom of the prussik, then clipping the top of your hh to a chest loop/inner tube/the front of your shirt? That way you could make progress with both feet, and only use your arms for balance? Same gear, different setup.

Have you tried swapping the lanyard to the bottom of the prussik, then clipping the top of your hh to a chest loop/inner tube/the front of your shirt? That way you could make progress with both feet, and only use your arms for balance? Same gear, different setup.

That makes sense but I've got no idea how that would actually work. Do you have a video link.

No, its just what I've been thinking about. To create a footloop, tie your prussik, I'd use a Klemheist as it'll bind less, clip your lanyard to it, clip that to your foot as you were.

Then attach your hh to your chest somehow, sling, inner tube, clipped direct to your shirt etc. I use a 120 cm tape sling with a snap on, twisted up at the back to shorten it to as tight as I can cope with, leave it on for the whole climb.

Pantin on the other foot and away you go. Ergonomically you should be using opposing muscle groups ie. right hand with left leg, left hand with right leg. So lift your right hand and left leg, stand on the Pantin, lift your left hand and raise the prussik, stand in the footloop and repeat. Does that make sense mate?

I might need a bit of rope weight to get it flowing properly, I've been threading a 16oz throw bag onto my tail then tying a spike underneath to keep it about 1m off the floor, when you're up in the canopy, just get your groundy to to tug your tail and the bag will come off

• 2 weeks later...

Did you try this method omt? Been playing with similar this week, but with the uni instead of Hh. Best I've found so far though is a hand ascender with footloop, and a chest tape with a snap on. the ascender I leave on line if just stopping for a little job, then continue up the tree. Once I'm properly in the canopy I'll dispose of it somewhere, either tie it up near the tip or stick it on my back for later.

Dan, that is the exact get up I use with the uni. Its minimal, fast and if you have one of those kong futura hand ascenders it wraps up to nothing and stows on your back. Old Mill, whats your current setup on the HH ??

Dan, that is the exact get up I use with the uni. Its minimal, fast and if you have one of those kong futura hand ascenders it wraps up to nothing and stows on your back. Old Mill, whats your current setup on the HH ??

It's exactly what Dan Curtis just described. The only thing I don't like about my system is my foot loop. I've got a DMM ring to choke the loop to my foot so that my foot doesn't slip out and setting it annoys me. My loop is too long and I have not bothered to adjust it but i'm thinking of getting a Metolius daisy chain, like dcoffey showed in his video.

I like the idea if using the HH as a hand ascender.

Do you guys set up with say, left hand ascender to right foot or left hand to left foot? Does that make sense?