Hitch Hiker thread.

Cool, i have an HH and definitly think its got some great features. Obviously im going to be biased so i wont even bother comparing. I do think the zk2 with stiff tether resolved some of the annoyances of the zk1. There is no question the HH is quality but as long as im climbing srt, the rest is details.

Cool. Kevin, I should also add that I'm a bit of a gear Magpie (I thought it a good idea to start an OCGD thread on Arbtalk after reading The Treehouse one:laugh1:).

If you improve over the HH and make it really shiny, I'll buy it!:lol:

Only joking, I love my HH too much now.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having own and used both zk1 and zk2 the zk2 is far superior and with the tether I use it has hardly any sit back apart from the hitch itself! I hated the zk1 and to me I thought sod it, working Srt was not for me but being inquizative I wanted to try it again so being a gear junky myself got the zk2 and I have never enjoyed climbing so much it makes the crap jobs good jobs and the best jobs amazing, if I'm honest I don't like the look of the hitch hiker and would never buy one, but that does not mean I wouldn't try it out. I'm hooked on Srt so the way i look at the wrench is why fix something that ain't broken?

... There is no question the HH is quality but as long as im climbing srt, the rest is details.

Word! :beerchug: I am so thankful to be doing tree work in a time with so many great choices. It is not what is the best tool for SRWP but what works best for you.

These pictures are to reference size and lack of complexity of the Hitch Hiker. I take a lot of pictures with just the HH in the frame so it's size can look bigger than it truly is.

I also here a lot of complaints on how complicated SRT is. Well it does not have to be.

David

100_4821.jpg

100_4819.jpg

Ok so I've got a couple of good climbs on the HH and I'm loving it but I am having a niggle while ascending.

I step on the Pantin and with my left hand I slide the HH up the rope. Problem is that sometimes the steel karab is 'locked' and stops me sliding the HH up unless I grab the karab and push it up the rope.

Know what I mean?

I realise that if I put a loop on the karab like DMc has, my chest harness will advance the system however, I use the chest harness very little.

I only have this problem on an ascent using the sit/stand method and it hasn't happened during work position.

Any tips?

I'll try to remember to get photos or video end of the week.

I just found this on Tree Buzz. I hope he doesn't mind but it's relevant here and useful to some, I hope.

Review by: Jamz Luce and posted on the Wesspur site.

“Every once in a while along comes a new arborist tool you gotta have. I have had the opportunity to use the Hitch Hiker for a few weeks. SRT access and working the tree on SRT have been game changers in tree work for many of us. I have used my Unicender and a Rope Wrench 2+ years. The Uni allowed new ways to work in trees. The Rope Wrench took that to a whole new level with its predictable smooth handling. The Hitch Hiker is a big step forward with many advantages over the Wrench.

With the Hitch Hiker, the mechanical friction is added below the friction cord making the whole setup more compact. The design is simple and solid. The release is smooth and the grab on the line secure. The hitch is easy to tend even when the line is only lightly loaded. This is a big advantage over the Wrench. The Hitchhiker works sweet when working a 3:1 off the single line. Working the Wrench you must take it out of the system to work on the dynamic 3:1.

I used HR for the friction hitch tied in a VT with 4 wraps on top with 3 crosses. This is on more wrap than I use on a DRT. The design of Hitchhiker makes breaking the friction hitch super easy and smooth. It doesn't seem to jam tight. The HH must be held in place to ascend efficiently. Same idea as using a Croll or Rope Wrench. The difference is you need to hold the place where it attaches to the saddle in place not the HH itself. When you get it dialed it is super smooth on ascent yet super secure to hold you when needed. Works great in long ascents with frog style systems plus gives you a great way to work or descend. Another nice application is to use it when you choke off a single line on a spar pole . Helps with work positioning and provides a second tie in that can be used to descend.

The Hitchhiker is more expensive than a Rope Wrench, but you don't need to add any parts to use it, and it comes with a hitch cord and biner. The carabineer is an integral part of the design that attaches to the climber, works as the fairlead and adds to the mechanical friction below the hitch. The construction of the unit is bomber. The unit I used had a finned base for dissipating heat of descent. The friction hitch cord length is easy to adjust due to the way it attaches to the top bar of unit. It worked smoothly on a variety of lines from 10 mm to 13 mm.

SRT tools are evolving fast these days. For now the Hitchhiker is a great choice.”

-----

Still think the HH is better than the RW? My advice would be try holding the device by the biner and around the rope too, getting your hand tight under the body so you hold the device in line. I dont have a HH but im just using my logic and thinking about how the device works and the problems you are having with it! Try it and let us know. How you getting on tending slack when climbing around??

Edit: or just practice with a bungy or lots. I dont find it too annoying on the wrench or uni

Still think the HH is better than the RW?

Don't be facetious. I have never said it IS better but I have said it works better for me and I knew that from the photos.

My advice would be try holding the device by the biner and around the rope too, getting your hand tight under the body so you hold the device in line.

Thats What I'm also trying and it works well. I posted the question to find out if anyone is using a different technique.

I dont have a HH but im just using my logic and thinking about how the device works and the problems you are having with it! Try it and let us know. How you getting on tending slack when climbing around??

Edit: or just practice with a bungy or lots. I dont find it too annoying on the wrench or uni

Slack tending when walking around the canopy is very very easy. Regarding LOTS or a bungee, the guys on Treebuzz and Treehouse that have been Hitch Hikering for many months say NO!

There are plenty of photos and vids showing better solutions.

/quote]

Edited by Old Mill Tree Care
Poor layout.

...I realise that if I put a loop on the karab like DMc has, my chest harness will advance the system....

If you can, try adding a carabiner loop similar to what I pictured. It does more than just giving you a place to clip to. It works like a corner trap so maintains carabiner alignment. The surprise benefit is that when you reach down to grab the Hitch Hiker your hand will rap around it so that even without thought, the carabiner is moved first, making advancement smooth and with less effort.

I would also recommend you find a shoulder strap that is comfortable enough to use all the time. Like anything new they take some getting used to but the benefits are great even when not used for hitch advancement. Even a light weight strap like I use, will comfortably keep your harness in a lower and better position without it slipping off with the weight of a saw.

David

Ok so I've got a couple of good climbs on the HH and I'm loving it but I am having a niggle while ascending.

I step on the Pantin and with my left hand I slide the HH up the rope. Problem is that sometimes the steel karab is 'locked' and stops me sliding the HH up unless I grab the karab and push it up the rope.

Know what I mean?

I could not deal with sit standing without something to advance the Uni/Wrench for any distance. Maybe try getting something comfortable to advance it for the intial ascent and taking it off to work the tree

I realise that if I put a loop on the karab like DMc has, my chest harness will advance the system however, I use the chest harness very little.

Find a webbing sling the right length for your body and try using that. If you get frustrated with it and take it off it will always be useful to have as an unretrievable redirect

I only have this problem on an ascent using the sit/stand method and it hasn't happened during work position.

Any tips?

Practice :thumbup:

I'll try to remember to get photos or video end of the week.

Good luck with it! Im looking forward to having a go on one eventually :thumbup1:

Edited by BenR

Thanks for the photo by the way David. That little piece of leather is a really tidy solution! I cut a piece of a belt to give it a go with my wrench either side of the fixed cheek pulley:thumbup1: I will try it out tomorrow.