Hitch Hiker thread.

I have been experimenting with this small metal piece as a clip-in point instead of the plastic strap. I do not have enough time on it to determine if it has any bad tendencies, but my initial impression is, it is a better way.

Dave

100_4800-1.jpg

I'm in my house now Dave so I can't look at mine but are you using your HH the other way round now?

Should't the spine be facing the climber? Can't picture it in my head.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. It is necessary in order use this type of advancer. If you can live without pulling up at sharp angles during slack tending the HH works just fine in this direction.

Dave

Interesting. I don't pull the rope up to slack tend (HC style) because it's ergonomically wrong.

I slide the HH straight up the rope as it just glides, doesn't it.

So what is good about this new clip in point?

...So what is good about this new clip in point?

It is easier to take on and off and you can spin the carabiner so that the gate opening is wherever you want it. But the most important improvement is that it pulls on the center of the carabiner so the release is not affected by sharp and changing angles created by the carabiner's movement.

But like I said, I need more time with it to ensure there are no hidden problems.

Dave

Please elaborate on the ergonomics of slack tending?

I'll do my best.

The typical method for HC Pulley climbers on DdRT is to pull down on the rope above the pulley with one hand whilst the other hand simultaneously pulls the slack through the pulley.

But if one pulls down towards the feet, the Pulley is drawn down and slack remains in the system creating an amount of sit back. If one pulls the rope upwards and away from the body, the pulley is held up whilst slack is tended through hitch and pulley allowing very little or no sit back.

It is this action of pulling the rope upwards that I refer to. The bicep muscle amongst others are used and while it does work, the tighter ones hitch the greater the effort and ones fatigue level.

The exact same technique is used for the RW HC combo on SRWP.

To tend the Hitch Hiker, one hand pulls down on the rope below the HH whilst the other hand slides the HH up the rope. The effort required to slide the HH up the rope ranges from minimal if you prefer a tighter hitch, to zero if you prefer a loose hitch. The sliding is done close to the body rather than at arms length therefore ergonomically better due to less effort involved.

Also, if you happen to be on the Pantin, sliding the HH up is a one handed job.

Another video trying to show how the HH slides/glides up the rope with almost no effort, in the same way a Unicender does (I have not used a Uni).

You have to look closely because the I haven't tilted my head down enough but you can see my hand advancing the HH up.

By holding the tail of the rope with a hand or the Pantin, the HH can be slid up the rope in the direction of travel.

Ergonomically superior to pulley derived hitches.

This is not a slagging off of the HC based system, I'm just trying to answer the question posed by a few people.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0GHcxSxRuQ]Hitch Hiker SRWP - YouTube[/ame]