Hitch Hiker thread.

One think i don't like about that setup is the fact your holding the rope above your hitch which is holding you up, in a weird situation you could slacken the hitch off and be in a sticky situation.

If you slid your hand down onto the hitch it would be bad news.

Here's a photo of me with my nervous face. I've got a Prussik as a right hand loop to advance the HH. I've used my lanyard clipped to the harness ring and looped on my right foot as a foot loop. It took a few minutes to co-ordinate my actions but it worked really well, for the first attempt.

It's sort of the same as what Donny's video showed, I think, but with different gear.

I also found that by having my hands on the rope above the hitch it kept me in a very upright position. Ergonomically good.

uzudu4az.jpg

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto. Is the lanyard thing actually doing anything? Looks like you're just standing on your bridge:confused:

It's a bad photo. The idea is that as I push my right hand up the rope, it lifts the HH. At the same time I lift my right foot.

I then step on the right foot (lanyard) andthe HH locks and I can lift my left foot/Pantin and move my left hand up the rope beyond my right hand.

Look at dcoffey's video.

It's a bad photo. The idea is that as I push my right hand up the rope, it lifts the HH. At the same time I lift my right foot.

I then step on the right foot (lanyard) andthe HH locks and I can lift my left foot/Pantin and move my left hand up the rope beyond my right hand.

Look at dcoffey's video.

Can't get good enough signal just now, will do when I get somewhere good. So you're standing on the hitch hiker, essentially capturing progress rather than making it with your right foot?

Can't get good enough signal just now, will do when I get somewhere good. So you're standing on the hitch hiker, essentially capturing progress rather than making it with your right foot?

Yes but you only ever capture progress with this foot whether its attached to a hand ascender, HH, RW, Croll etc.

The benefit is that it eliminates the need for a hand ascender as the hand loop does the advancement and the HH does the capture.

In dcoffey's video you'll see him using the HH as both the hand ascender and the capture device. Even better than what I did as there is no hand loop.

Hes has the HH thethered to him and then has a footloop also to stand down in i think you might have your system a little back to front? shouldnt it be HH thether to you, then a footloop running from the HH? Hes using a sterling chainreactor which has rated loops its a pretty handy bit of kit by the looks of it.

That does look a bit confusing old mill. I see what you are trying to do though. Not my bag.

Kevin, I do have a stiff tether and I find the rope only drops through below the hand ascender when Im way up there. Which kind of defeats the purpose of the hand ascender/footloop for me. Wrench rocket all the way for a long ascent. Seems like it could work well with the HH too Old mill. Will try and get some photos at work tomorrow if I get time.

Yes but you only ever capture progress with this foot whether its attached to a hand ascender, HH, RW, Croll etc.

:confused: What about in a frog walker system? Both legs and arms work there for ascent. Progress is captured automatically by whatever system you have, be it a croll, rw uni etc