Hitch Hiker thread.

Pulling down and sliding isn't something that the Hh has revolutionised I can and often do the same with my hc Rw set up

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Just read this by DMc.

He puts it better than I have:

I very much agree with Old Mill on this. Ergonomics is derived from two words: ergon, meaning work, and nomoi, meaning natural laws. So it literally means the science of work and a person's relationship to that work.

Most climbers have been born onto the pulley tending systems, so have no reference on doing things any other way. Not so for me. Most of my climbing career was spent on a tail-tied system. For slack-tending, say in returning from a limb walk, you would pull on the rope with both arms then slide the hitch forward. This movement accomplished two things: introduced slack was never more than that created in a single pull, and all physical effort was applied in the direction of travel. The weight of the tailing rope was an asset.

Now let's look at the ergonomic differences while using a pulley style advancing movement. You can go fast by taking 3 or 4 pulls, then hold yourself in position with one arm while pulling slack with the other. Or you can be slow and careful by pulling with one arm while removing slack with other. This even sounds awkward to me while typing it.

With pulley-style tending, whether a pulley is used or not, at the very least, energy is spent that does not assist in directional movement, and at the worst actually pushes against the direction of movement.

With the exception of tools like the Petzl Rig and I'D that require the rope to change direction, all our hitches and tools are designed to slide straight up the rope with almost no friction ( when set properly ) and then grab as needed. This straight through design is facilitated by the weight of the tailing rope. It makes far more sense to find a way to utilize this feature than to waste energy lifting it.

Think about it, there are ways. The Pantin is a good example. It works great strapped to your foot utilizing the falling rope weight to assist in upward progress. Yet place it loosely on your bridge so it falls out of rope alignment and that may not happen. Would it make more sense to advance it by adding a pulley and lifting the tailing rope or spend some time in figuring out how to get it to once again work with the tail weight?

Dave

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I read what Dave posted old mill, I think your claiming the Hh does things so differently when it doesn't really I mean when I put down tension on my line I can push up my hitch and rw easily.

No I wasn't. Just stating what it does and that the refined technique with a HH is not to tend the rope in a upward motion, HC style.

I'm not saying the HH does things other gadgets don't. I was saying the technique is different.

The technique for different devices is different. Simple.:001_rolleyes:

Pulling straight down on a single line isn't going to tend the device one handed though the act of pushing the slack tender against the hitch will advance it up the line which you can do one handed, sliding the whole device up the line can be pretty time consuming and your balance needs to be top notch, it's good when you can do it but sometimes you can't.

Pulling straight down on a single line isn't going to tend the device one handed though the act of pushing the slack tender against the hitch will advance it up the line which you can do one handed, sliding the whole device up the line can be pretty time consuming and your balance needs to be top notch, it's good when you can do it but sometimes you can't.

Nobody has ever stated that it would.

On the contrary, Dmc and I both stated that by holding the rope down (below the HH), the HH can be slid easily up the rope in the direction you are travelling.

You haven't used a HH have you Ewan? I don't understand why you are argueing with me on three different threads about HH tending technique.

You know, it's not a Lockjack, Unicender or Rope Wrench and it isn't a Wraptor either but you're giving me grief about why it doesn't perform like all of them rolled into one.

IT'S A HITCH HIKER!

Nobody has ever stated that it would.

On the contrary, Dmc and I both stated that by holding the rope down (below the HH), the HH can be slid easily up the rope in the direction you are travelling.

You haven't used a HH have you Ewan? I don't understand why you are argueing with me on three different threads about HH tending technique.

You know, it's not a Lockjack, Unicender or Rope Wrench and it isn't a Wraptor either but you're giving me grief about why it doesn't perform like all of them rolled into one.

IT'S A HITCH HIKER!

Mate im not trying to wind you up, im only stating that facts around slack tending, i enjoy discussing about the HH no i havent used it my local store here has just got one in, but im taking what you say about it and just using my knowledge of SRWPing and applying it in order to myself have a better understanding, i find you some times act as if the HH is the Dogs dangleys for reasons X,Y and Z and im just trying to show that its not just the HH that offer these advantages as they all seem pretty simple im trying to really find what makes it that different that you are passionate about it. I wouldnt say pushing the HH up a rope as a refined technque its a bit like a prussic in that sense, my point was that in order to advance one handed a pulley is useful that is all, I wouldnt say it was different its a hitch based system with a hitch that needs to be tended. There is alot i feel is wrong about the HH but this is obviously just from what i have seen. If your willing to preach about it mate you need to take questions and criticism im not picking on you or giving you grief im just asking questions this forums about discussing so lets discuss.