Hitch Hiker thread.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Mill, How are you doing with your Hitch Hiker? Any improvements on tending on your ascents? I have the RW myself the ZK-1 which I love but I was thinking about a way to improve it and saw the Hitch Hiker. I haven't tried one but I like how compact it is. Seems especially nice for Frogwalking and switching over to Ddrt.

Old Mill, How are you doing with your Hitch Hiker? Any improvements on tending on your ascents? I have the RW myself the ZK-1 which I love but I was thinking about a way to improve it and saw the Hitch Hiker. I haven't tried one but I like how compact it is. Seems especially nice for Frogwalking and switching over to Ddrt.

I've really go to grips with it now. The key to it is making sure that the hitch knot is set right. It needs to be good and tight.

I've been using the supplied Beeline but next week I'll try 8MM OP to see how that differs as that's what I used on my ZK1. I'm climbing on Poison HiVee.

I also liked the compact design and especially the ease of changing from SRWP to DdRT.

Tending on ascents on ascenders is no longer an issue, it was just a coordination, body position and foot loop length problem in the end.

I rarely use the foot loop but often clip the hand ascender on just cos it's easy to grip. I just wish I had a Kong Futura instead.

Tending ascents the rest of the time is smooth now because I discovered how important the hitch knot setting is.

By simply loosening or tightening one of the stopper knots, you achieve a massive difference in grip.

Improving on the ZK1 is easy. Just get a HH or ZK2. I can't say that the HH is better than the ZK2 because it's a personal preference thing.

The HH certainly has a couple of advantages though and that favours me.

Glad to hear positive feedback on the HH. I wish I had that Kong Futura as well seems more natural for gripping. I have Petzl rh I use on long ascents. As for as hitch cord I have been really happy with the Beeline 10mm first choice on Poison Hivy and just got Samson Vortex which I really am very impressed with. I used OP 10mm on both and that would be my second choice. Haven't tried 8mm on either hitch cord though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the 10mm Beeline that came with my HH but thought I'd try 8mm OP because I have some left over.

It felt really nice for descent and ascent but I couldn't stop the stopper knot 'rolling' which means the hitch gets looser.

Because the HH is do hitch sensitive just a fraction looser and it doesn't work so I kept having to stop and tighten it.

Anybody else used 8 or 10mm OP?

After all that though, going back to the 10mm Beeline was much better. I guess I was wasting my time anyway as Ropetek recommend it.