Government funding madness!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

the FC produce 70 million in revenue, If wegoing to start saying cant have it all thn we need some figures for revenue INTO PUBLIC PURSES from Opera. and compare input/outputs.

sometimes Andy i wonder what planet your on.

The environment and mental well being versus a chunky chick screaming her lungs out?:sneaky2:

Would that you knew it that's called art, trees are just where we get wood from..........................

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i find the keepers won't let anyone in barring their mate who does logs!

Well, I can't speak for your area, all my work comes down through a Land Agency, which means its right down to financial management, no mates. What I have seen, is that the keepers have influence on who is working the woods, and it pays to work with the keeper rather than antagonise him, find out the local issues with the woodland. I've found this very true when I work out of area, when I've been onto Earsham and Holkham estates for example.

Originally Posted by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

the FC produce 70 million in revenue, If wegoing to start saying cant have it all thn we need some figures for revenue INTO PUBLIC PURSES from Opera. and compare input/outputs.

sometimes Andy i wonder what planet your on.

The environment and mental well being versus a chunky chick screaming her lungs out?

There seems to be a misunderstanding going on here.

Opera is not a nationalised industry.

The government doesn't directly fund it, nor does it directly take revenue from it. Presumably there is funding for opera related education, but only to the same extent as all other areas of education/training.

Personally, for what it's worth I admire many of the disparate opinions put forward on this site. I admire Andy for his battle against illness and Tony for his knowledge and passion. When people have a passion and the intelligence to back it up, things can quickly become emotive.

I'm not a star struck kid, I'm almost 46 you know. When I was a kid it were all woods round here...

Oh, and benefits for people that need them are fine with me, I used unemployment benifit myself once when I moved 120 miles from the place I'd always known. Two weeks I think I was on the dole... Yes the daily mail etc stoke the fires of anger against immigrant claimants etc and yes there are worse in the ranks of the opera lovers but this points to one thing as far as I can ascertain- This country is on it's knees, and when you're that age it's hard to drag yourself back up again...

Edited by woodpile

The key point that has infuriated me for years is that those on benefits do not need to budget. All is provided within the system "to each according to his needs=demands".

So limitless children, rents, and benefits.

Where most of those who work have to rationalize what they can or cannot afford.

Most of my work collegues here consider themselves lucky to pick up an Ex Mobility car.

Some adresses have 2 or more Mobility cars parked outside, within one family.

Endless people, young and old living alone because we pay the rent for them.

Houses lying empty cos they are actually shacked up with their undeclared "partner"

Ditto the poor children within the fostering system, generous allowances, taxi provision and grants until they are 16.

Boy, then real life comes as a shock. we fostered, we know.

Grandmothers being paid to foster their grandchildren!!

She, the grandmother raised the useless bitch of a daughter, but we pay!, and pay! and pay!

Cheers

M

Ps

with 2 unsuccessful replacment knees and a shedload of pain control drugs for ruhmatoid arthrits the wife is medically retired, from a teaching job she was passionate about and excelled at.

Personally, for what it's worth I admire many of the disparate opinions put forward on this site. I admire Andy for his battle against illness and Tony for his knowledge and passion. When people have a passion and the intelligence to back it up, things can quickly become emotive.

I'm not a star struck kid, I'm almost 46 you know. When I was a kid it were all woods round here...

Oh, and benefits for people that need them are fine with me, I used unemployment benifit myself once when I moved 120 miles from the place I'd always known. Two weeks I think I was on the dole... Yes the daily mail etc stoke the fires of anger against immigrant claimants etc and yes there are worse in the ranks of the opera lovers but this points to one thing as far as I can ascertain- This country is on it's knees, and when you're that age it's hard to drag yourself back up again...

Good thoughtful post that is woodpile...almost poetic in places:thumbup1:

I think we are all the same deep down, though I'm sure Tony will choke on his Rice Krispies to read that! We all have a passion for our work, and trees in particular. Ok Tony has his little moments, but we basically do share the same intolerances too. We can't stand to see waste of our hard earned taxes, much as we grudge paying them, there is nothing worse than seeing it wasted on spongers, illegals, prisoners or handed out to supported a lost cause. We generally have to work very hard for our money, we have a limited expectancy for how long we'll be profitable to our client/employers until the sharp young climber comes along to replace us. tony mentioned turning 40 as being a bit of a milestone, believe me every year there after is a milestone, and nothing short of a miracle :001_smile:.

I know I mention my recovery, but to me it's quite a big achievement, I've proved my surgeon wrong, that I won't be able to do my job any more, and I hope that mentioning it here and there on the forum gives encouragement to others to fight their corner when it gets a bit tough, which it will. Today is the first time since last year I've done 3 hard working days on the trot, if I hadn't got hospital tomorrow I'd have tried for four or even the full week. But that will come. Others have their own personal battles, financial, medical, emotional, drink or drugs, they're all tough to deal with. Enough of my ramblings for now.