delivering logs in barrow bags/backache

Rob Stringer

I switched to delivering logs in 0.25 cubic metre potato-vented barrow bags back in the spring to save handling each log 10 times between splitting and delivering (I was loading and unloading my trailer manually before). I can get 8 bags on the trailer for a full 2 cubic metre load. Its mostly worked pretty well, I find deliveries take half the time they used to and I can unload from the pavement etc. without problems... Noticed my back aching a bit recently and I suspect dragging the bags on/off my trailer hasnt helped (get at least 80 logs in each so i'd guess 80 kg+ weight)... I was wondering if anyone else delivers logs in barrow bags regularly and whether they've had the same issue or i'm doing something wrong? I dont want to go back to hand-loading but not in a position to spend a fortune on more equipment at the moment, anyone found any simple ways to reduce handling they'd be willing to share? Thanks, Rob S

I deliver purely in barrow bags and use a sack truck. I do find that customers do ask a great deal from you when delivering this way.... just round this corner, just down or up these steps, just the 100 yards to the top of the garden :thumbdown:. Mine are just over .2 of a cube from Bag Supplies, are you sure that yours are .25?.

Forgot to say, yes I use a sackbarrow for moving them, I still have to drag them up and down the ramp on my trailer which I thought might be the cause of my aching back... If nobody else has problems maybe I need to do some exercises or something... The bags say 0.25 cubic metres on the side and the measurements seem to match up to this but its pretty approximate as the bags tend to bulge in the middle and settle so they only look 2/3 full. If they didnt bulge in the middle I could almost get 10 on the trailer, as it is I get 8 on and can only just shut the tail-gate.

I've found them handy for awkward deliveries as well (as long as theres no steps..) and i've found loading/unloading pretty quick and efficient so would be reluctant to go back to doing loose loads with a wheelbarrow. I suppose a tipping trailer would work well for some deliveries but only where theres an accessible driveway.

What about a "Load Handler " I have one on my pickup and they can be adapted for tailors. You can move loos loads or bagged up loads . It works as a conveyer belt . Save you dragging them from the far end . You will get a discount for being an arbtalk member I think . I would not be without one . Check out the thread on it .

What about a "Load Handler " I have one on my pickup and they can be adapted for tailors. You can move loos loads or bagged up loads . It works as a conveyer belt . Save you dragging them from the far end . You will get a discount for being an arbtalk member I think . I would not be without one . Check out the thread on it .

I had one of those before I got the barrow bags.. worked sometimes but had problems adapting it to my trailer so ended up passing it on to someone with a pickup.

Mine hold about 90Kg, and I've been humping them on and off a Landy 110 and latterly a trailer- I find them a total pain in the arse, just too heavy to handle comfortably, just too awkward a shape to make manual loading easy. Not doing 'em now after the present stock of bags is used up, will go down a size and use ones about half the size.

Mine hold about 90Kg, and I've been humping them on and off a Landy 110 and latterly a trailer- I find them a total pain in the arse, just too heavy to handle comfortably, just too awkward a shape to make manual loading easy. Not doing 'em now after the present stock of bags is used up, will go down a size and use ones about half the size.

Are half-size barrow bags available? Might be a better bet when my current ones fall apart (glad i'm not lifting them into a landrover/pickup though it has to be said).