Physio or Chiropractor???

HRG Tree Services

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sports physio all the way, I've had prolapsed discs in the past and an op. Sport physio's have always sorted me and kept me working. Being self employed as most of us on here are them we can't afford to be off work so need the treatment to reflect that, its no good them treating you and saying you need to take 2 weeks off which what I've had from chiropractors/ doctors etc.

Have been to numerous osteopaths down the years and one chiro. The osteos all treated the symptom while finding corollary issues, with varying degrees of success. The chiro takes a more holistic view and treats the whole spine, the ethos being that a spine that's in order leads to an unstressed nervous system and hence a muscular system that's also in order: what he's actually working on is the central nervous system via the musculoskeletal system

His treatment has led to way longer lasting benefit than any of the osteos'.

But I'm not bashing osteos: some worked better than others but you soon find that all practitioners, whatever their title, have a slightly different take on things.

I would recommend a chiro myself but only by trying each will you find what's best for you: you may try a rubbish chiro but a brilliant sports physio.

• 2 weeks later...

when i did my shoulder in - it was a few weeks before i got to see some one - the chiro crunched it good - instant relief and movement, phisio and massage for the long haul to recovery. but seriously when she cracked my shoulder, man that was a relief, the fact that she is Swedish and hot as hell is a bonus! I find sports therapist are good, as they treat active people, who wish to remain active.

When I did my back I got fed up with 'wait for it to get better' from conventional medicine. I also admit to a mistrust of that view, as it's what my Dad was told when originally diagnosed with a frozen shoulder, that turned out to be melanoma, which by the time it was correctly diagnosed had progressed and become terminal. Not knocking the doctors involved, as it was a pretty rare instance, but nonetheless it's made me very wary of leaving things on assumption that they will mend (plus I am impatient :biggrin:)

I went to see a chiropractor, who made my back feel better in one visit, then instigated a programme of increasing gaps between sessions (a couple of days, progressed to a week, progressed to fortnightly, to a month etc). I appreciated the baseline assessment, and the attitude of making things better, not extracting the maximum possible amount of cash, together with sensible exercises which I still do (and she sorted my neck into the bargain when I happened to mention it was a bit stiff). What I really appreciated was that it worked.

I would agree that it's hard to know whether any particular practitioner is good or bad though, particularly being relatively lightly regulated.

Alec